Will be travelling to South East Asia 2 months post rhinoplasty. Is this okay?

I had my surgery March 2nd and will be travelling to Southeast Asia for a few months May 2nd. Is this okay? Will this effect my results drastically? And what should I do about the swelling in the heat?

Don't worry

I allow my patients to travel 10 days after surgery.  After about 3 weeks there is not much you can do about swelling except to have patience.  Go have fun in Asia and don't stress.

Aaron Kosins MD
Plastic and Rhinplasty Surgeon

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Don't worry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Aaron Kosins MD
Plastic and Rhinplasty Surgeon

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and travel

At two months, usually most patients are fine to do almost anything. Travel should be ok, but you will have to see how you are healing and ask your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty and travel

Travelling after rhinoplasty

Dear rhino201603,

Thank you for your clinical post and important question. Many patients do travel after their surgery. About 20% of my patients come from outside of Toronto and the Province of Ontario. Usually after rhinoplasty or a facelift or cosmetic facial surgery it is okay to fly within a week to 10 days. It is important to remember that for long flights and 31,000 feet will lead to increased swelling. This can be minimized, however, by frequent massage on the plane or even use of Steri-Strips.

It certainly won’t compromise your cosmetic outcome and you can expect to have the same aesthetic outcome you would have had had you not had to fly to Asia 2 months after your surgery.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Travelling after rhinoplasty

Dear rhino201603,

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Travel after rhinoplasty

I think you will be fine given the amount of time between your surgery and travel. Heat will have only a minimal and temporary effect on your nose.

Enjoy your trip and don't let anyone hit you in the nose. Stay sober for starters.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Travel after rhinoplasty

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Traveling after rhinoplasty

After any surgery there are restrictions to what you can and cannot do. Many of these rules may be considered overly cautious. On the other hand, why risk it when you've invested so much in your surgery?

Most of the restrictions are within the first 1-2 weeks. This is to set you up for good course of healing and to watch out for infection. After that window of time, the risk of a problem goes down a lot but not to zero.

The act of getting on an airplane and going somewhere is not dangerous after 2 weeks. You should go through the typical course of swelling and shrinking as long as you stick to your surgeon's post-op instructions. A few recommendations include avoiding salty foods and direct sunlight. Both can increase swelling. It's not necessarily dangerous, but you'll have to wait longer for the swelling to go away.

The bigger issue is having a problem while you are in a remote place without access to good medical care. In that situation a simple problem may be tougher to handle. With a little research and preparation, you and your surgeon can make a plan, so you can have a safe trip. 

Traveling after rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question, agc24. We appreciate your asking this question well before you get on the plane. You should be able to travel internationally as long as you have a standard healing process for the next two months. You should consult with the board certified facial plastic surgeon who performed your surgery to alert him/her of your proposed travels so that they can monitor your healing and provide you with the proper medication in plenty of time before the flight.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 2 months after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Travel after Rhinoplasty

You should be fine to travel two months after your rhinoplasty. Our standard recommendation for international patients or those who travel after surgery is to avoid travel in the first 8 days. 

With regards to the climate and weather, I would not expect there to be any significant long term adverse effect on your rhinoplasty results based on my experience with over 25 year practicing in Texas. Summertime in Houston is a popular time for patients having rhinoplasty procedures with me and the heat and humidity do not seem to be an issue at all. I hope this reply helps. Wishing you safe travels. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Travel after Rhinoplasty

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon