Tiny hole that was creates from my drain tube is visible. Should it have closed up? 12 days post-op. (photos)

OK so the tiny hole that was made from my drain tube under my right arm (transaxillary incision) is still visible. BUT there is no blood or any type of liquid coming out at all. Does this mean the hole is closed and will get better over time?? I am also 12 days post-op since my BA. I noticed it from looking very closely with a smaller mirror.

Post operative breast augmentation

Thank you for your pictures and your question.  You appear to be healing appropriately for post-op day 12.  The incision should continue to improve with time. All the best!

Post-op breast augmentation

Dear Teehuynh,

Thank you for your clinical post and you are certainly very thorough in scrutinizing your recent transaxillary surgery. The axillary position for a scar is sometimes prone to slower more difficult healing due to the moisture in the area, maceration can occur of the skin edges, but generally these scars heal very well. For only 12 days your scar appears nicely healed and often at this point the drain hole is quite visible but fills in, fades with time and can often barely be noticed.

At this point, simply cleanse as often as outlined by your plastic surgeon’s office and keep the area clean and dry.

If you’re at all concerned certainly call the office of your plastic surgeon and inquire from their post-op team what should be done at this time as they are in the best position to advise you.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Give it time

Thank you for the question and photos.  based on your photos, you appear to be healing well so far.  Your incision wound should close and heal itself with time.  If you want to make sure, best follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon for your concerns.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Will close on its own

The small drain site hole will close on its own as it heals from the inside out. Make sure to keep it clean and dry. Also, follow up with your PS

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Bast augmentation with axillary approach

It is very rare to close surgically the holes from drains - same as liposuction holes. I personally manage them conservatively.

They usually contract so much that already at 3-6 months becomes very difficult to notice them.

I would simply follow the advice of your PS, I am sure you will be fine.

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon

The wound is healing perfectly. Leave it alone.  It will look great!

I hope this helps!

Dr. Robert Shenker MD FRCSC 

Breast scars

Looks like you are healing well for only 12 days. Give it time and it should finish healing and smooth out. Good luck.

Drain exit site

It is very early in your recovery, and usually the drain site hole goes on to heal very well. Best of luck with your results.

Healing of a drain side after breast augmentation.

One would expect the drain side whole to be totally closed at 12 days. I personally never use drains with breast augmentation but it certainly is worthy of being shown to your surgeon.

Small opening in the incision

Thank your for supplying your pictures. In my opinion, this small opening should heal since it is been only 12 days since your surgery. Keep close follow up with your surgeon.  Best wishes.