Any suggestions for Tattoo removal? (photos)

I just got this tattoo, and it was not done the way I had imagined it. Itś giving me major anxiety. I need it removed soon. I got it done by an apprentice. Do you think these colours can come out, and how many sessions approximately? It is about the size of a sticky note ( a tiny bit bigger). Please help.

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. Tattoo removal involves several treatments typically 8 weeks apart. Based on skin type, location of tattoo and the colors of the ink will determine about how many treatments will be necessary. Multiple wavelengths should be used to achieve the best removal outcome specific to each color. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

Tattoos should be removed with q switched or pico lasers, we will often combine with fractional lasers to help speed the process. No matter the device it will take several treatments to see the outcome depending on your response and the technology. Please see a laser expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Tattoo Removal

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your tattoo. For a tattoo that is multi-colored I would recommend a multi-wavelength Pico laser. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths along with the Picosure laser  for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. With these advanced technologies we can remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 sessions on average. Pico lasers are the latest technology and remove tattoos faster and safer then older laser systems. I would also recommend an in person consultation.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal MultiColor- Planning and selecting a Provider

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, there is no "soon" in tattoo removal. This is a slow process. Your tattoo is professionally done in that it appears to have a high density of ink particles and they are likely to be deep. The presence of multiple bright colors further challenges the removal process. Sessions should be about 6 weeks apart and you will need a provider experienced with multicolor tattoos (with the right equipment/wavelengths). It would not be unusual for a design like this to require 8 or more sessions. A Ruby laser (694nm) is useful for bright colors (bright blue, bright green, etc) and resistant inks including resistant black ink.Q switch ND:yag with good peak power- 1064nm for Black, dark blue, dark green, brown and purple and 532nm for Red, pink, orange and yellowPulses of 532 and 694nm cannot be overlapped in the same session or you will likely scar. Ask lots of questions. Ask the provider "what wavelengths do you have and what colors will you be targeting with them". If they don't answer confidently this is a good indication that they don't understand well the PHYSICS of the treatment they are providing. That's not someone you want working on your tattoo. I hope this helps. Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician