Can I use sunscreen on scar 2 months after surgery?

I got a scar revision around my areola 2 months ago , I am going on vacation in a month and was wondering if I can use a sunscreen and still enjoy the weather topless as well as going swimmin

Thank you for your question.  In my practice I recommend patients avoid direct sun on incisions for several months to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation (the scars becoming dark).  If one is going out in the sun by all means consider sun block with at least spf of 50.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  Good luck. 

Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Sunscreen after surgery

Your best sun protection is clothing over your areolae.  If you wish to go without clothing, a zinc oxide sunscreen will be best.  Barring that, use the sunscreen with the highest SPF you can find.  There are some available with an SPF of 100. (With an SPF 100 sunscreen,  it will take 100 hours to obtain the same amount of sun you would receive in 1 hour without sunscreen).

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon