How to slim jaw line? What can be done to correct this? A face lift? Would Botox in the Masseter help? (Photos)

I had a negative reaction to an IPL with radio frequency. The IPL was performed by a board certified surgeon on my mid face only. It appears to have flattened my mid face and shifted everything downwards. Now the lower half of my face is larger than the upper half. I have slight jowls now and a heavy bottom face. I'm only 36. What can be done to correct this? A face lift? Would Botox in the Masseter help? The last surgeon I saw said my skin is not loose enough for a lift. Thanks for your time.

Non-surgical options to slim the jaw

Based on your photos, I agree that you do not look ready for a facelift. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss the best non-surgical options for your needs. Botox in the masseter muscles could definitely help. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facial Slimming

Because you do not have enough loose skin for a lift you will have to seek other non-surgical methods. The most reliable would be Botox injections to the masseter muscles. That combined with perioral/jowl liposuction may be helpful slim your lower face.

How to slim jaw line? What can be done to correct this? A face lift? Would Botox in the Masseter help?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Facial volume loss after IPL/RF treatment (?)

Your photos are not perfectly comparable so your best advice and guidance will come from a fact to face exam and discussion with a plastic surgeon.  It does appear however that botox may be helpful to slim the area of the angle of your jaw.  Facial fat loss is known to occur sometimes from RF treatments and although subtle, it's POSSIBLE but not certain that this may have occurred.  Replacement with fillers may be combined with botox or xeomin injection to the masseters to enhance your profile.  Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Slim my jaw after RF IPL

Thank you for asking about your facial changes after RF IPL.

• The changes you are seeing are subtle. That does not mean they are unreal.
  • It does mean that the photos, not being of comparable expressions and poses, are not a reliable guide.
  • You will benefit from having an in-person consultation to discuss what you don't like and what your treatment options are.
  • You appear to be lovely as well as young - although I have done face lifts in women your age with lovely and very very long lasting results, be sure it is right for you before having any surgery done now.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post-IPL

Hi,

You seem to have very nice skin and contour from your photos. At times, you may need volume to help smooth out areas or enhance areas on your face. You certainly don't need a facelift and Botox in the masseter is likely to have little effect, though you could try this if you feel that your face is too wide. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

How to slim jawline?

Dear whymenow,

Volume loss from an IPL would not be common, but the radiofrequency treatment (depending on what was done) could result in volume loss. When volume is lost in one area of the face it can change the proportions and create an optical illusion that there has been significant increase to volume elsewhere. Although you may not have had any complaints with your lower face before, the change in proportion might have raised your attention to this area. The pictures you have provided show a limited view of your cheeks, but they certainly have some nice volume. If you lost some from your treatments, it makes sense to me that you would just replace it. You could also add a tiny amount to the area of volume loss to the sides of your chin in the pre-jowl hollow to blend the cheek volume to your chin. Volume along the jawline is a good thing for preventing the signs of aging so in the future you will want this. Yours looks wonderful now. Botox in the masseters will definitely cause volume loss along the jawline, but that is not always good thing. I tried it once to decrease headaches from clenching at night and hated how much older it made my face look.

Once people start tinkering with treatments they begin to scrutinize their looks and begin noticing tiny details that they never noticed before. Good quality clinical photography can surprise patients (and even me) who swore they never had something before their treatment. Some personality types are not good candidates for treatments if they are too sensitive to the smaller details and fail to see general improvements.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mid face lift?

A mid face lift might be helpful.  You would need a full consult with a Board Certified Surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation procedures to help improve your appearance.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Face

You are quite young for a facelift or mini-facelift.  Botox to the masseter does help reduce the width of the lower face albeit temporary.  It may be the best option for what you are interested in.