What size should I choose for Breast Reduction surgery, I'm a N cup with volume loss. (photos)

I am having surgery in 2 weeks and trying to determine what size I should ask for. I've looked at photos and have had a hard time determining what is appropriate. I know it's not by cup size however my surgeon has said he'd be taking around 3 lbs/breast. I'm 44 yrs old with sagging but volume is lacking. I'm an N cup and lost weight so I'm a 33/34 vs 36. I have plans to lose even more weight. I'm 5'7 and weigh 195. Any and all suggestions and info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Breast Reduction

It would be reasonable to expect to be a D cup after your reduction.  You cannot go too small since some tissue is needed for the blood supply to the nipple/areola.  If you definitely want to be smaller then a different technique that involves a free nipple graft would be needed.  

Cup size after breast reduction

It is difficult to predict actual cup size after a breast reduction. You should discuss with your surgeon how much weight he might remove.  Best of luck.

What size should I choose for Breast Reduction surgery, I'm a N cup with volume loss.

There is no way to predict your final cup size as there are too many variables when determining bra cup size. Discuss your desires with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

What size should I choose for Breast Reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast size

I think you should do whatever size you are comfortable with. Most of my patients who get breast reduction surgery want to be a full C cup. They don't want to be too small.   A full C should look just fine.   Best to show your board certified plastic surgeon pictures of breasts that you like.  My patients bring in photos.  That can help a lot. Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Breast reduction and cup size

First, you are not an N cup, more likely EEE-F.  Breast reduction has anatomical limitations so it isn't as much a question of what you want as opposed to what can be accomplished. Most likely, this would result in a D cup although bra sizing is so inconsistent that I hesitate to put a label on it.