Shaving down just dorsal hump or full Rhinoplasty needed? (photos)

I am not comfortable with my nose hump. I don't mind my nose, except for the hump which makes my nose look big and crooked. What are my options and who in Ontario, Canada would be best to speak too. I would most likey need an ethnic plastic surgeon who does alot of ethnic surgeries.

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Shaving down just dorsal hump or full Rhinoplasty needed?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Why should I get a Rhinoplasty operation?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Shaving down a dorsal hump with full rhinoplasty needed

The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it successfully. Once the dorsal hump has been removed, osteotomies are then required to narrow and straighten the bridge line. The nasal tip cartilages may or may not need to be adjusted accordingly to the new bridge line. Look for a rhinoplasty specialist for best results.

Dorsal hump reduction

Reduction of the dorsal hump should suffice in this case without a full rhinoplasty. However, the side bones need to be broken (osteotomies) as part of reducing the hump and keeping it narrow. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

The question is do you want to change anything else about your nose such as the tip. Also, a frontal view photo would be helpful, but it looks like shaving down your dorsal hump will leave you with an open roof deformity, which needs to be corrected with lateral osteotomies which are routinely performed during rhinoplasty. If you are not looking to change your tip, the dorsal changes can be accomplished with closed rhinoplasty techniques very effectively. Good luck!

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dorsal hump

Shaving down the dorsal hump can often be done as a "close" rhinoplasty, meaning no incision on the undersurface of your nose or the "columella". This will improve your appearance but still allow you to keep your overall look. Look for a plastic surgeon in your area and he/she can best advise you on options. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX