Severe under eye discolouration and hollowness. Tried fillers and laser resurfacing - no change. Started at 19, now 34. (photo)

This is severely impacting my life, I'm so self conscious. I want to not always wear layers of makeup. Are that any surgical options, or other guaranteed options? What type of dr should I see for this? I just want to fix this. I did 1 session restalin fillers, and 3 sessions of fractional resurfacing. Felt like wasted money since there are no results. I'm really hoping there is something that can be done. Toronto, Canada. Any drs here I can see?

Here’s a link to the board certified doctors in your area who perform eye bag treatments.

Doctor Answers 4

Dark circles

Dark circles in patients with darker skin tones are very difficult to treat.  Lasers are tough  because they have to be done at very lower powers and will not be very effective.  You may benefit from bleaching creams.  HA fillers to the tear trough when done correctly should help quite a bit, so may want to try the Restylane again.  

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Discoloration under the eyes

Based on the photos, it appears that the biggest issue is the discoloration.  You can try a skin-lightening regimen that contains hydroquinone such as the Obagi NuDerm System as a first step.

Paul B. Johnson, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Under Eye Rejuvenation with fillers, lasers, microneedling/prp

A combination approach is needed and it can take a series of treatments for improvement. Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye bags. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often. I suggest consulting with an expert to develop a treatment plan best suited for your short and long term goals. Don't let distance dissuade you, see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Bleaching cream

The best way to address discoloration like what is shown in your photos is by using bleaching creams. There are no surgical option for your situation. See a reputable cosmetic dermatologist who may be able help you slowly and conservatively. You will likely have to keep treating this long term to maintain your results. Hope this helps 

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.