Follow-up Question: Seeking a revision of a labia reduction in Toronto Area.

Labia reduction surgery by OHIP 5 years ago with a right arterial hemorrhage. My original gyno refuses to do a revision surgery regardless of complications so I received a second opinion and now am awaiting a plastic surgeon OHIP for a revision consult. Should I try to get this done by cosmetic surgeon in Toronto or through OHIP again by a plastic surgeon? Are OHIP plastic surgeons just as qualified? Most places won't accept me as I had previous complications..

None of this makes sense

Doctors who take insurance for labiaplasty are generally not qualified to do labiaplasty. Yes this isn't fair. But it's more often than not true. I wouldn't see the same doctor after having a major complication, would you?I would say that OHIP doctors are less qualified as a rule than private practice plastic surgeons who can show you a dozen before and after photos, and reviews, and videos of their technique... I'm sure you'd agree. Be selective and get a quote so you know what the cost might be. Payment plans might be just as cheap as your insurance and co-pays.

Find an Expert

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about the outcome of your earlier surgery.  I can only echo what others here have stated:  find an expert in labiaplasty surgery, regardless of other considerations, you will be much more likely to get the results you want.  In general, these surgeons are going to be either board certified plastic surgeons with extensive experience in performing female genital surgery, or they are going to be gynecologists with extensive experience in cosmetic gynecology.  Randomly-selected plastic surgeons and gynecologists, most likely, will not have the necessary experience to address your concerns.  New Jersey is pretty close to Toronto, isn't it?

Look for a labiaplasty expert. Forget about insurance and specialty concerns.

If your priority is having your labiaplasty revision done expertly, look only for labiaplasty experts. Fly if you must. The blood vessels in the labia are tiny and easily controlled and a surgeon who fears them is certainly no expert in labiaplasty.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of the disappointment in your current outcome after your original labiaplasty surgery.  I would recommend researching surgeons with extensive experience and knowledge in labiaplasty techniques and reconstruction.  Depending on your current outcome you may only have one more chance at an appropriate cosmetic appearance and it behooves you to do your research and see a specialist regardless of cost.  Hope this helps.