I'm scared about what braces will do to my facial structure.

I have an underbite. My dentist said they have to remove 4 teeth in order to make room for my teeth to move and straighten. I am scared about what changes will occur in my facial structure. If i have an underbite, what type of facial structure changes will occur if I get this? Will it soften my facial features or make it more define (keeping in mind I have underbite). Thanks for the help in advance!

Doctor Answers 1

Extracting Teeth for Orthodontics. Usually the wrong approach.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Crowded teeth and bite issue are often corrected by extracting teeth and rearranging the teeth in the bony arch.  The problem is that this is a dental answer to an orthopedic proble.

A better solution is to orthopedically grow your maxilla to make room for all your teeth.  In my opinion Epigenetic Orthopedics/ orthodontics is the current best solution for correcting an underdeveloped maxilla. 

Growing the maxilla creates a full wide health smile and improves physiology and airway. This also helps avoid problems like dark buccal corridors and deep nasal labial creases.

An alternative is to utilize the SARPE procedure or a surgically assisted Rapid Palatal Expansion.  This requires surgery but can be accomplished much faster.  

Ideally, the best approach is to widen the maxilla as early as possible preferably before 8 years old.  Early treatment can improve metabolism, decrease metabolic issue , increase intelligence and help prevent ADD and ADHD.

The video is a patient who is early into treatment with her DNA Appiance.

Chair, Alliance of TMD Organizations
Diplomat, American Academy of Pain Management
Diplomat, American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine
Regent & Fellow, International College of CranioMandibular Orthopedics
Board Eligible, American Academy of CranioFacial Pain
Dental Section Editor, Sleep & Health Journal
Member, American Equilibration Society
Member, Academy of Applied Myofunctional Sciences

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.