Why is my scar thin and faded and flat but hard underneath the skin after gland excision gynecomastia surgery? 9 months post op?

What can i do ? It makes the bottom portion of my nipples pufff/stick out

Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Firmness under nipple

Dear foreveryoung908.

Thank you for your clinical post. It is quite common after a direct glandular excision following gynecomastia to have either scar thickening or hardening of the tissue that was operated on or residual glandular tissue. At 9 months following the surgery if there is still some protuberance under the nipple areolar complex it is one of those two things, residual scar tissue or gland. The options include non-surgical treatments such as bulk heating radio frequency energy devices, another non-surgical liposuction technologies, but the likelihood of them flattening the chest contour is low.

The best option is to revisit your surgical result with your operative plastic surgeon and discuss the options. The use of energy-assisted devices that are used internally such as BodyTite, SmartLipo, Thermi RF and VaserLipo allow coagulation and reduction of scar tissue and glandular tissue without having to repeat the open surgery. This may be a simpler option for flattening your contour.
I think with this approach you can achieve improvement in your gynecomastia with flattening of your chest contour.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below. Also view the sections on male gynecomastia reduction.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Firmness Under Scar

It is difficult to determine without an assessment. You may be feeling scar tissue. 

I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Firmness undernipple

Most likely, you either have scar tissue or residual glandular tissue.  Leaving some residual glandular tissue is very common, as there are glandular elements and ducts associated with the nipple that are not completely removed even when subareolar resection is done.  So, you may be feeling this.  Discuss with your surgeon, because it is not possible to make a diagnosis without an in person examination.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Firmness under neath nipple

If you had glandular excision, then you may be feeling scar tissue underneath the areola. hard to say without an exam.

Remnant glandular tissue?

Thank you for your question. It is impossible to give you a complete diagnosis without a physical exam or reviewing photos, but it is possible there is still some remaining glandular tissue under the nipple. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon regarding your concerns for evaluation. You may require re-excision of remnant glandular tissue to improve your contour. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon