Is it safe to overfill a 450cc saline implant by 150-200cc?

I am getting revision breast augmentation, and to achieve the look I want (fake looking implants) my surgeon recommended overfilling a moderate round saline 450cc implant to a 650cc. Is this common and safe? I don't mind the implants being hard and stiff, I'm just worried about safety. I also want to stick with saline implants not silicone.

Saline implant overfill.

Saline implants have a fill range specified from the manufacturer, and in order for the implant to look and feel well it might be best to stay within the specified range. Overfill can create a round and stiff implant and our preference would be a move up a larger size and fill correctly.

Overfilling implants

While some overfill beyond the recommend fill volume, it is not recommended.  It can make the implant feel very firm.

Overfilled implants may feel too hard and look fake.

The issue of filling only applies to saline implants, since silicone come pre-filled and sealed from the manufacturer, so each implant's volume cannot be adjusted.

Saline implants have a recommended fill range, for instance 300 - 330 cc. If a doctor underfills the implants below this range, there may be more rippling and a higher leak rate. If the implant is overfilled, it may feel hard (like a water balloon) and also ripple and leak at higher rates over time. So in general, filling a saline implant outside its recommended range is not ideal, better to change the implants entirely. 

Thanks for your question. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling implants

In my opinion, I follow the recommended fill volumes from the implant manufacturers. Overfilling is upto the surgeon but may cause other issues and may void warranties, etc.

An exam and consultation with a/ your plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Overfilling implants

Overfilling implants can be done, but not recommended.  This could give you the fake look you desire.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD