Is it safe to get a Mommy Makeover in the Dominican Republic, although I have Lupus? **no flare up's or complications*

I am a 20 year old female with no kids, who was diagnosed with Lupus 5 years ago. Because of this I was put on heavy medications, one being 1000mg of the steroid prednisone, this made me gain 90pounds in 4months. Now 5 years later, I am completely healthy(remission) with no complications not even a flare up since diagnosed and I have also lost all the weight and spoken too my Rheumatologist, who has said that I am in a good healthy state and a good candidate for any plastic surgery.

Traveling Out of the Country with a Health Condition for a Mommy Makeover

This is a very good question. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States.

Be careful!

Medical tourism can be dangerous as surgeon and facility certification may be substandard. Make sure the surgeon is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, which does accept international members. This will assure a level of competence. The surgical facility and those performing anesthesia need to be certified by a legitimate board as well. Read up on medical tourism online, check into your surgeon before going. Do not compromise your safety for money. I have found my fees are the same or less than those who had procedures n the DR!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Surgery abroad

Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices. Plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma.
Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit.
In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States since 2000. Removal of these implants has been recommended by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their overseas surgery.
Source: The Cost of Medical Tourism – Medscape Medical News
Source: Official Statement on Faulty PIP and ROFIL breast implants – ISAPS

Mommy makeover in another country

Hi & thank you for your question.
I encourage you to stay local for this procedure. Too many complications can occur traveling abroad for surgery. You need to be close to your surgeon  to be monitored and have quality after care. Best of luck.

Mommy make-over in DR - but have lupus

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • My advice is to not travel abroad for surgery.
  • The State Department issued an infection warning about the DR some time ago
  • You have no follow up and put yourself in the care of surgeon you do not know in a country where you probably do not speak the language.
  • On DR surgeon had multiple deaths, and was only recently stopped from practicing.
  • The US and Canada have highs standards for medical care, making elective surgery safe.
  • Few areas have the same standards.
  • Only if you have family in the area to care for you, speak the language and have a personal referral to a Board Certified Plastic surgeon do I think foreign surgery ever makes sense - and even so, once you leave you are on your own.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Cosmetic Surgery Tourism

your case is complicated, do not go abroad for surgery!
I recommend that you consider all options before traveling abroad for your cosmetic surgery. I practice in NYC, and I have seen far too many serious and harmful complications resulting from surgery in the Caribbean. Issues like serious wound infections, tissue loss and questionable operative techniques result in complications that are expensive and hard to fix. Please balance the risks and your personal safety against the perceived advantage of cheaper cosmetic surgery, because in the long run, it can cost you a lot more, both monetarily and in personal harm. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD