Rhinoplasty? Is there a way to make my nose not as wide from the front profile?

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A closed rhinoplasty can accomplish narrowing the wide nose from the frontal profile. To accomplish narrowing the bridge line requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones. A tip rhinoplasty is required if the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip are excessively wide. An alar-plasty is required to narrow wide nostrils. For more information and many examples of narrowing and wide nose, please see the link and the video below

Wide nose

This is a great question and a challenging problem in rhinoplasty! It really depends what part of the nose is wide. A wide bony nasal base can be improved with osteotomies or narrowing of the nasal bony base by breaking the bone and moving them closer together.This can affect the nasal airway. Sometimes the bottom part of the nose or tip is wide and this can be improved with tip defining sutures. If the nose base is wide sometimes it can be narrowed with sutures hidden in the nasal sill to bring the alae closer together with an alar cinching suture.

Narrowing the nose

There are many techniques to potentially narrow the nose. It really depends upon how you look. Best to post photos or better yet be seen in person.

Narrowing

Thanks for your question. I general, yes, it is possible to narrow the nose as seen from the front: both the tip and bridge of your nose can be narrowed using a variety of bone/cartilage repositioning maneuvers. It is best to consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for an in-person examination to determine what may be best for you. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to narrow a nose

A nose can be narrowed in different ways, but the questions is why does your nose appear wide? There are many reasons for this and, without photos, it is impossible to talk about your particular situation. Usually this requires a dorsal hump reduction, but I have handled some cases in which they really needed dorsal augmentation or other maneuvers to make the nose appear less wide. See a plastic surgeon for an in person consultation.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Lateral osteomtomies can be performed to narrow the mid nasal bone width.  Tip rhinoplasty can also narrow the tip.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Can the nose be narrowed?

It is difficult to speak about your particular situation without looking at photos, but, in general, it is not hard to narrow a nose. This can be achieved by performing osteotomies (bone cuts) and bringing the bones closer together and/or using dorsal grafts to refine the dorsal line. Good luck.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is there a way to make my nose not as wide from the front profile?

Without photos- it is impossible to answer your question. A full evaluation and restructuring by a qualified Board Certified PS will include: improvement of the width and adjustent areas of the nose and therefore producing your best result.