Rhinoplasty suggestions? (photos)

Hi I have been considering getting a rhinoplasty and would love to hear recommendations from plastic surgeons on what should be done. Some of the aspects I am unhappy with are the asymmetry ( I broke my nose), the size, pointy tip and thin upper lip.

Rhinoplasty for the broken nose

A Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the crooked nose with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  Osteotomies performed in the nasal bones allow narrowing and straightening of them. Sometimes a cartilaginous spreader graft is required to be placed underneath  the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nosed also straighten that component. A tip rhinoplasty is required when there is crooked nasal tip cartilages present. For more information in many examples, please see link and the video below

We see several rhinoplasty patients who are unhappy with the appearance of a crooked or deviated nose, often as a result of a trauma like a broken nose. An experienced plastic surgeon will take certain steps during one surgical procedure to improve not only the asymmetry but also the other characteristics you are unhappy with that you mentioned. I would first recommend scheduling an in-person consultation with a highly qualified plastic surgeon to better asses your situation. You should be looking for a surgeon that is board certified with many years of rhinoplasty experience. Give yourself options and speak with as many surgeons as possible until you feel comfortable choosing one to perform your surgery.

A rhinoplasty can be done to to straighten and narrow your entire nose including the tip and nasal base, refine the tip, decrease tip projection, and raise the hanging columella(the strip between your nostrils). Select an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon whose results you like. 

I think the main thing for you is the crookedness in the frontal view. The profile and tip projection do not look bad.

Rhinoplasty suggestions?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also de-projection of your nasal tip.  This will result in a smaller overall size of your nose. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD