Rhinoplasty Peeling Nose Skin 4 months post op- Safe?

Hi I am almost 4 months post op and still have a ton of skin peeling on my nose tip, I gently remove some of the dead skin with tweezers. Is this safe to do at this point?

Peeling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam. Peeling of the nasal skin after a rhinoplasty is not uncommon and you should take care to avoid direct sunlight so as to not exacerbate it. In some cases, peeling together with foul smell may indicate a potential infection, which is why you should alert your surgeon to your concerns.  As always, an in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain expert medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Peeling skin after rhinoplasty

I would highly recommend consulting with your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have and before you do anything to your nose so he can answer these questions and do an examination of the nose. After a rhinoplasty, the nasal tissues are still healing and you should be careful with the skin on the nose during this time. I would definitiely limit your sun exposure and apply high SPF when outside. I wouldn’t recommend pulling the dry skin off, if anything maybe try applying a small amount of hypoallergenic lotion to the area to moisturize it but it is hard to tell without seeing your nose therefore, I would take your surgeons advice after he examines you.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip Peeling

Thank you for your question.  I would see your surgeon as soon as possible, as this probably shouldn't be happening.  I would worry you may have an infection in the nasal tip, which is causing some of this peeling.  Hopefully this is not the case, and this is from another issue.  Nevertheless, I would contact your surgeon.  -David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon