When having a rhinoplasty and having your nostrils taken in, does that leave your nostrils different sizes?

Hi doctors, I've noticed many people complain about there nostrils not being Evan after rhinoplasty. If you bring your nostrils in so there is less flare does the shape of the nostrils Change resulting in uneven nostrils? Or is that only when I reshape your nostril size?

The goal of every procedure is a beautiful result and symmetry. It's important to recognize that none of us are perfectly symmetric before or after aesthetic surgery. However, there is always an effort to maintain or improve symmetry with every procedure. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Asymmetry after Rhinoplasty

While perfect symmetry is rarely achieved the difference should be so minimal that it does not distract from the appearance of your nose after the operation. In private look at your entire body; some asymmetry is normal.

Nostril shape

All nostrils are a bit different. The problem is most patients notice this after surgery and not before.  As for alar base surgery, some reductions especially when decreasing the nostril width, will change the shape a bit.

Nostril asymmetry

If the nostrils were symmetric before surgery, they should be symmetric after surgery with or without Weirs.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with nostril reduction

Nostrils may very well have some asymmetry. It is never absolutely identical but the difference should be small enough that only shows from a few angles. 

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

There is not symmetry to the nose only balance.

The face, nose and body vary to a great degree from side to side.  The nostrils are a different shape as well.
After narrowing the nostrils, or a what we call a base resection, the nose will be more balanced but never perfectly symmetrical.  Depending upon the initial shape of the nostrils they should be more similar but hardly will they be identical.

Greetings

Thank you for your question As for alar base surgery, some reductions especially when decreasing the nostril width, will change the shape a bit. However, there is always an effort to maintain or improve symmetry with every procedure. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry after an alar plasty

It is important to realize that the nostrils will never be symmetrical, since they were asymmetrical before the surgery anyway.  The goal of an alar plasty us to simply narrow wide nostrils.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Ideally the nostrils should be symmetric after alarplasty is performed.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD