If I get revision gland excision on my nipple (half moon incision) again, will my nipple still be able to still get hard?

Risks and Necrosis Associated with Gynecomastia Revision Surgery

As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation. Reduced sensation of the nipple is possible, as it is with any breast surgery, and can lead to reduced nipple sensation. Reduced sensation is usually temporary following surgery and may require a few months resolve. However,  in some cases, the loss of sensation can be permanent. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision and reduce the chance of a necessary revision.

Nipple function

Dear foreveryoung908,

Nipple sensation and erectile function of the nipple are related. If you had a previous glandular excision gynecomastia and have nipple sensation and that nipple sensation during the revision procedure is not disrupted then you will likely have the ability to have erectile function to the nipple areolar complex. If there is some loss of sensation the erectile function of the nipple and the areolar area is much less predictable and functional.

Again, one technique that can minimize the risk of surgery is BodyTite to the revisionary glandular tissue as it is able to coagulate gland, fat and skin. It will take several treatments in the medical spa of your operative surgeon, but you could also consider non-surgical techniques for glandular and fat destruction. A device called BodyTite with internal radio frequency energy can reduce residual gland scar tissue and fat and will have a very low risk of permanent injury to the sensory nerves. If you have sensation following a revision then you will have erectile function of the nipple, as well.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Nipple function

Most often this is the case, yes. There are always risks for nipple function with this incision however choosing a board certified, experienced Plastic Surgeon greatly minimises your risks. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns and how you can plan to heal well from your procedure.

All the best

If you still have sensation (which you usually will), the reflex that produces nipple erection should be intact.  So, the answer, is yes (probably).

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD