Removing Steri-strips after BA? Did I get bad advice? (photos)

The nurse at my PS office told me to remove my gauze and steri-strips myself after 7 days from my crease incision. I removed it all but after talking to a few other girls who have also got it done, I am nervous that this advice was wrong. While I know a professional's advice is much more valuable than a Google search or word of mouth, there are a number of things have made me lose confidence in my PS's office and I no longer trust them and do not know who else to turn to.

Steri Strip Removal

Thanks for your question, but it's okay.  Every Plastic Surgeon has their own set of post operative instructions, so you need to check with him or her on this.  But, from your picture, you look fine and did not damage anything from removing them a day early.  I think what see is a suture.  No worries.  Talk with your surgeon.

Relax.

From your photos you look fine. I do not use Steri-strips on my breast augmentation patients since they often cause blistering. Removing after one week is perfectly fine. You should follow up with your surgeon regrind his or her recommended post-operative car management. In our own office we recommend scar massage starting ten days to two weeks after surgery. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Removing Steri-strips after BA? Did I get bad advice?

Based on your photo you have a subcuticular suture present.  If this is the case there is absolutely no problem  with taking Steri-Strips off at this early date.  In fact I do not use Steri-Strips at all because leaving them on too long can soften the wound and interfere with healing.

Steristrips

You should talk to your surgeon about post-op wound care. I prefer to have patients were tape or steris for about 6 weeks.

Steri Strip Removal

Some Plastic Surgeons place no strips at all, others keep them on for longer than you have. Everyone has their own preferred protocol based on their experience and preference. I recommend that you follow your plastic Surgeon's advice and report any changes or issues with healing.
All the best

Don't compare experiences

Although we take our own strips off, the advice that they need to come off at 7 days is correct.  Talking to other girls is not going to help you.  It is impossible to compare like that.

This will have no bearing on the result of your surgery

the steristrips main purpose is to keep you from seeing the incision and worrying about it or having to care for the incision. i personally keep the steris on for 7-10 days but if they were to come off on the first day post op, when all my patients shower, i would not be concerned at all. I would simply tell them to clean the incision with half strength hydrogen peroxide and apply a thin coat of antibiotic ointment, twice per day for a week. both work fine - just the steris are less work. david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Dressing removal at 7 days

Most of my patients return to the nurse to have their dressing and steri-strips removed at about 7 days. However where this is difficult or not possible I advise them to remove the dressing and steri-strip themselves or just wait until it falls off on its own.I think the advice your PS office nurse gave you is fine. If you then have concerns about the wound you should return to your PS for further advice.Good luck and best wishes.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Post breast augmentation

You seem to have a great result so far and I see no cause for concern. Every surgeon has different post op instructions and their reasons for them. Your operating surgeons staff is your best resource at this time. Best wishes. 

Dean Vistnes, MD.Vistnes Plastic SurgerySan Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself #breastlift #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I have my patients remove the strips in 3 days...my patients like to see...

their incisions and be able to clean them.   After 5000 augmentations, our expertise, I feel it is best to be able to gauge the health of the incision.  I offer most patients of mine to be back to work and working out within 2-3 days.  Go back to your surgeon and mention your thoughts...he or she would be most interested to help, I am sure.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon