Is it necessary to remove breast tissue when performing a mastopexy?

Recent mastopexy with fat grafting to one breast (approx. 1 cup size smaller due to lumpectomy for bc. Wanted breast lift (mild ptosis) and told areolae would need to be moved up slightly. Was very clear, I did not want the other breast reduced, at all. Post op learned surgeon removed 30 gms from that breast, said "it was just what was attached to the skin" yet no tissue was removed from the smaller breast receiving fat transfer. Why would it have been necessary to remove any tissue?

better when some tissue is removed

While it is not necessary to remove breast tissue when performing a mastopexy, most surgeons feel that the results are better when some tissue is removed.  It improves the longevity of the results and the final shape of the breasts

Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and Breast Tissue removal

It's not neccessary to remove breast tissue . Whether to remove depends on the shape of your breast. The operating surgeon will be the person who determines whether to remove it and the pathologist will perform biospy. I would recommend you go to see your operating surgeon to double check for breast tissue or you may go to another plastic surgeon for a second opinion. 

Mastopexy and breast tissue excision

Hi - often as part of the final breast shaping a small amount of breast tissue is removed prior to closing the breast.  30g of tissue is a very small amount of breast tissue and you would be very unlikely to see any difference in volume after removal of just 30g.

Removal with Mastopexy

Hello there

Commonly a small trim is performed to the lower aspect of the breast to optimise breast shape .

Otherwise the breast can look unpleasant .

30g is an imperceptible size loss . About a dessert spoon .

I wouldn't worry about it at all .

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

To do a lift, some tissue must be removed. 30 grams is about 1 ounce of weight which is minimal and sounds appropriate for what was done. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource for accurate/specific information. Generally, breast tissue does not have to  the removed but some excision may be helpful when it comes to improving contour/shape of the breast.  The 30 gram that was removed from your breast is a very minimal excision that will not necessarily be noticed when it comes to breast size change.  Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  A very small amount of tissue may need to be removed along with the skin for technical reasons.  30 grams falls within that range.  Be sure to discuss your concerns further with your surgeon.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast tissue removal?

This needs to be addressed more effectively with your plastic surgeon.  If you are asking on a more broad is sometimes necessary to remove some breast tissue to help with contouring of a breast during a lift.  You mentioned 30 gms of breast tissue removal would represent exactly that.  This amount of breast tissue removal is not even worthy of mention because it does not make a significant dent in the breast size.  It can however mean a lot in terms of contouring of the breasts.  Hope this helps.  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Removal of breast tissue with mastopexy.

Hello and thank you for this good question.

Mastopexy and breast reduction can be very similar procedures the only difference being that no or minimal breast is removed during the mastopexy but it is removed during reduction.

During mastectomy skin is removed and there will be a tiny amount of breast tissue with it that will inevitably be lost with the skin. At 30g this is what it sounds like happened with your operation so I would honestly not worry about that, it soundss like that most minimal amount of actual breast tissue was removed. Another reason for a very minor removal would be shaping of the breast mound after skin excision to make a smooth cone for the skin to redrape over.

There will have been some breast removed during the removal of tumour but not necessarily labelled as a reduction / removal as such.

I would suggest that you discuss these points with your surgeon.

I hope that you found this information helpful.

Best wishes

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon