Is it necessary to remove breast tissue when performing a mastopexy?

Recent mastopexy with fat grafting to one breast (approx. 1 cup size smaller due to lumpectomy for bc. Wanted breast lift (mild ptosis) and told areolae would need to be moved up slightly. Was very clear, I did not want the other breast reduced, at all. Post op learned surgeon removed 30 gms from that breast, said "it was just what was attached to the skin" yet no tissue was removed from the smaller breast receiving fat transfer. Why would it have been necessary to remove any tissue?

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Lipo-lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

better when some tissue is removed

While it is not necessary to remove breast tissue when performing a mastopexy, most surgeons feel that the results are better when some tissue is removed.  It improves the longevity of the results and the final shape of the breasts

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD, FACS
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

better when some tissue is removed

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD, FACS
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and Breast Tissue removal

It's not neccessary to remove breast tissue . Whether to remove depends on the shape of your breast. The operating surgeon will be the person who determines whether to remove it and the pathologist will perform biospy. I would recommend you go to see your operating surgeon to double check for breast tissue or you may go to another plastic surgeon for a second opinion. 

Mastopexy and Breast Tissue removal

Mastopexy and breast tissue excision

Hi - often as part of the final breast shaping a small amount of breast tissue is removed prior to closing the breast.  30g of tissue is a very small amount of breast tissue and you would be very unlikely to see any difference in volume after removal of just 30g.

Mastopexy and breast tissue excision

Removal with Mastopexy

Hello there

Commonly a small trim is performed to the lower aspect of the breast to optimise breast shape .

Otherwise the breast can look unpleasant .

30g is an imperceptible size loss . About a dessert spoon .

I wouldn't worry about it at all .

Cheers

TS

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Removal with Mastopexy

Hello there

I wouldn't worry about it at all .

Cheers

TS

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

To do a lift, some tissue must be removed. 30 grams is about 1 ounce of weight which is minimal and sounds appropriate for what was done. 

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource for accurate/specific information. Generally, breast tissue does not have to  the removed but some excision may be helpful when it comes to improving contour/shape of the breast.  The 30 gram that was removed from your breast is a very minimal excision that will not necessarily be noticed when it comes to breast size change.  Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  A very small amount of tissue may need to be removed along with the skin for technical reasons.  30 grams falls within that range.  Be sure to discuss your concerns further with your surgeon.

Breast tissue removal during mastopexy

Thanks for your question! Usually skin alone is removed with mastopexy but inevitably a very small amount of breast tissue is removed as it is attached to the overlying skin. (Sometimes larger amounts of breast tissue are deliberately removed for various reasons, e.g. to achieve a small reduction, to aid in contouring, or to achieve balance with the other breast). 30 gms is a very small amount and should not impact the breast size at all in most patients. Hope this helps!

Dr. Nicolas Hynes, MSc, MD, FRCS(C)

Lotus Cosmetic Surgery Centre + Medispa

Breast tissue removal during mastopexy

Dr. Nicolas Hynes, MSc, MD, FRCS(C)

Lotus Cosmetic Surgery Centre + Medispa

Breast tissue removal?

This needs to be addressed more effectively with your plastic surgeon.  If you are asking on a more broad level...it is sometimes necessary to remove some breast tissue to help with contouring of a breast during a lift.  You mentioned 30 gms of breast tissue removal would represent exactly that.  This amount of breast tissue removal is not even worthy of mention because it does not make a significant dent in the breast size.  It can however mean a lot in terms of contouring of the breasts.  Hope this helps.  

Breast tissue removal?