Is reconstruction after labiaplasty possible?

7 years ago I got labiaplasty from a gynaecologist who promised she was experienced. She ended up not taking much off and at the same time, leaving my labia REALLY wavy looking. 2 years later I had a revision done in Toronto. It went well and healing went much quicker (which added to my suspicion of the first doctor). Unfortunately though, he made my right side smaller than my left. I would actually like my right side to now be BIGGER to match the left. Is this reconstruction possible?

Labia Reconstruction

Thank you for your question. It is challenging to evaluate your condition without photographs. Genital reconstruction can be more challenging than a labiaplasty to remove excessive skin.  I would recommend finding an experienced reconstructive genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling. The surgeon should be able to discuss the options with you based on your individual findings on physical examination.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Thank you for sharing your question.  WIthout a series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice but if you have residual clitoral hood tissue you may be able to add volume to your right labia to better approximate your left.  Hope this helps

Reconstruction of Labiaplasty

Revison surgery for labiaplasty may be requested to remove more tissue: make the labia more even; correct over reductions; treat adhesions between parts of the vulva; improve the appearance of color, texture, and scars after previous treatment. Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation. These should be performed by a surgeon experienced with Cosmetic Female Genital Surgery.  You should wait at least 6 months for the initial surgery to resolve.  Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon.

Since it has been well over six months since your initial procedure, there should be no problem in having a second revision. There are a number of reasons that any of these issues could have occurred, but it is very important to find a qualified and certified plastic surgeon. Attend multiple consultations if needed in order to make sure that the procedure will be handled properly. Now, it is also good to have realistic expectations for the final results of any plastic surgery procedure as results will not necessarily be 100% perfect in appearance. Best of luck to you.

There aren,t too many augmentation options for labia minora

You posted photos previously showing moderate sized labia minora and prominent bilateral clitoral hood redundancy. Given the large amount of tissue present, traction (pulling) on a chronic, frequent and consistent basis might give you some elongation at the right side of the hood. There is no real reconstructive option here.

Can I make one labia bigger? - NO!

Hello again,

I just responded to your earlier post which included photos of your poor Labiaplasty results. The waviness you describe is in large part due to your redundant lateral prepuce (extra hood) on the left side. You also have this on the right, but it's not as large. This gives you and asymmetric appearance and impression that you need to make the right labia bigger when in fact it has nothing to do with your labia!

Your initial surgery and then your subsequent revision didn't address your clitoral hood structures whatsoever. This is the reason why you never had the results you were looking for. You need another surgery to correct the irregularities.  I perform labia reductions in the office under local anesthesia. Every woman is shaped differently and requires her own unique cosmetic correction.  What is often overlooked by most surgeons is the prepuce, or clitoral hood, which may require reduction and even lifting to achieve the optimal youthful appearance and enhanced sensation for ultimate pleasure. You need reduction of your bilateral redundant lateral prepuce, as well as repeat Labiaplasty to make the labia flow with your reduced hood structures and to correct the asymmetry. At that time, the painful ridge on your right labia can be corrected.

Look at the link below for examples of Clitoral Hood Reduction work. Case # 20760 shows a good example of a large, right redundant lateral prepuce.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this for 5 years! So sad.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty

I would recommend you see a surgeon for consultatuon. This type of reconstruction is difficlut and not always possible. All depends how much tissues is available to work with. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist