What are reasons for these holes in tummy tuck procedures? (Photo)

What are the reasons women have holes like this after tummy tuck? (Picture not of me). I have stretch marks and am wondering if this. Oils happen to me if my skin quality poor?

Wound issue

Some people have minor wound healing issues and it might also be related to stitch abscesses as well which can occur in some patients.

Wound issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Holes Along Tummy Tuck Incision

Good morning and thanks for your question.

Though they don't happen in every case, it is relatively common to see small bumps within an abdominoplasty incision that can develop into superficial holes. Usually these are in areas of higher wound tension, where the incision is brought together tightly. For example, the centre of the incision near the midline, just above the bikini area.

Skin quality (and nutritional health) can play a role and these may be seen more often in people with truly thin skin and poor nutrition. Stretch marks in and of themselves are not major risk.

Often these areas start as small lumps with an associated dissolving suture that is "spitting" rather than dissolving inwardly. Most commonly they need little to no management and resolve on their own. If they start to break down and cause a hole, they can be uncomfortable and rarely can be a source of infection.

The most important thing to do is follow your surgeons advice regarding wound management and keep their team informed. That way if you do need something done (suture removal, antibiotic creams or medication) they can be started sooner rather than later.

Even though these can look dramatic at first, they usually fade with the same quality as the rest of the incision.

I hope this was helpful. All the best!

Dr Nodwell

Holes Along Tummy Tuck Incision

I hope this was helpful. All the best!

Dr Nodwell

Holes at incision site post tummy tuck!

Hello and thanks so much for your photo and question. Because the skin is under tremendous tension post tummy tuck, sometimes openings form at the incision site. They typically resolve over time and as the skin starts to stretch. Please be sure to attend regular follow ups with your surgeons office in order to avoid  infection and to monitor you post procedure to ensure optimal healing.  All the best!!

Holes at incision site post tummy tuck!

Holes in tummy tuck procedures

the holes are areas where wound healing has not occured most commonly due to redduced or insufficient vascularity due to many reasons including closure under tension,they can be secondary to infection also,many times both are coexisting in such situations.It doesnt have direct correlation to quality of skin perse as many women have stretch marks at this age.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Holes in tummy tuck procedures

Holes

It is not unusual to have issues with stitches as they dissolve. Always best to keep in touch with your PS though.

Holes