What is the smallest size of slit can be made for a single hair graft?

I am posting the same question with some detail about my hair texture as a doctor asked about the hair texture. So my hair is thin, curly and not caurse. What is the smallest size of slit can be made for a single hair graft? Is it possible to make a .3 mm size of slit for singular hair graft? Will it be the safe size for the hair graft to survive? Waiting for the reply. Thank you

Thanks for the query.  The smallest single hair can be done by making a slit of 0.6 mm which is the thinnest strip required for the hair graft to survive when done by FUE technique. Some doctors might do it with 0.3 mm technique but the result varies according to the quality. With hair quality you mentioned it can be done but the exact can be known after examination. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Mallest size of slit

For such  a thin graft we can also use no 21 needle, but healtier assumption should be done after see the grafts ..

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

It is best to ask your doctor what size of needle or slits he/she uses. Many doctor uses different instruments.

It is best to ask your doctor what size of needle or slits he/she uses.  Many doctor uses different instruments.  There is no "safe" or "standard" size.  The size depend on the size of your grafts.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Size of 'slit' for single hair grafts

The answer to this question is more related to the ease of placement than forcing a graft into too small a site. There is a delicate balance between sites and graft size and the ease of planting the grafts relates directly to the percentage of growth. Traumatic placement of a graft can kill a graft so forcing it into too small a hole is not wise.  The wound healing different between a 21 or 20 gauge needle is negligible. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon