My question is about Tummy tuck. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate if some one can help me.i will be seeing my surgeon next month. I want to get my tummy tuck but very nervous as well.

Nervous about tummy tuck - trust your surgeon

It’s natural to feel some nervousness about the procedure. After all, it is a more invasive one. However, choosing an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with a good reputation will improve your surgical outcome so you can have a safer surgery and achieve the results you want. You should feel comfortable with your surgeon and be open and honest about your goals. That way, they’ll be able to understand what you want. As you learn more about the surgery and form a relationship with your surgeon, your nervousness will probably ease.

Nervous about consultation/procedure

Thank you for your question.  It is very normal to be anxious when considering surgery.  I suggest that you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your options.  Your surgeon should be very experienced in the procedures you are considering.  He/she should also have before and after photos that are consistent with the results you expect and should be someone with whom you are comfortable based on your consultation.  Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck consultation

Thanks so much for your question. It's totally expected to feel nervous when considering a surgical procedure. Once you begin the consultation process, you will become more more knowledgeable which will make you feel more at ease. Go on a few consults, ask lots of questions and be sure to ask for a tour of the facility! Good Luck 

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Research before tummy tuck

You are wise to do research before your consultation.  Make an effort to understand the basics of the procedure, and also be sure to seek out the best available surgeon for your surgery.  Good Luck!

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Advice

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Suggestions???

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients.  Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.  If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.  This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside.  Most times, those muscles don’t  go exactly back to where they were before.  Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.  If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results.  It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house. The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.  Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you  may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).  Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.  As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.  You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.  Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.  What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off?  Hope this helps! -JGH

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.Feeling anxious and nervous is completely normal. Some things that may help ease your mind when choosing your plastic surgeon would be to choose one who is board certified and preferably specializes in tummy tucks. You may also want look at the surgeon’s credentials, memberships, educational background, reviews and before and afters. Before and afters are a good indicator of their techniques and outcomes from tummy tuck surgeries and reading reviews from other patients is a good way to see what their experience with the doctor was like. Also, meeting your doctor in person for a consultation is the best way to determine if you trust and feel comfortable with them. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon