What will I need to have prepared for after surgery?

What will I need after my surgery to make the healing process faster, the dropping process faster and my healing process more comfortable and easy?

Preparation for Breast Augmentation

Thank you for sharing your question.  Please follow your surgeon's instructions for post-operative care.  In my practice I do recommend having button or zip-up shirts, and sports bras with a front closure available, as you do not want to lift your elbows right after surgery.  Make sure your prescriptions are filled in advance.  Sleeping in a recliner or propped up in a bed with pillows will help reduce swelling.  Breast implants sometimes take months to "drop" into place.  Everyone heals at a different rate, so keep in mind that your experience might be very different than others.  It is best to be patient and continue to follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions for after care.  Best wishes, Dr. B. 

Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon because some may provide you with post-operative recovery essentials such as a surgical bra, compression strap, body wash (Hibiclens) etc and some require you to purchase these things yourself. You will also want to have somebody stay with you for the first 24 hours at minimum to help you and keep an eye on your incase any complications arise. Other than that be sure to have all of your medications filled, maybe get a nice comfortable pillow, ice pack and some high protein foods for your recovery. Best of luck.
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Prepared post op

Hi! After surgery I recommend that my patients sleep elevated for the first few nights. This can be in bed surrounded with pillows or in a recliner. Sleeping elevated will help keep swelling down. Make sure you're wearing your post op bra for added compression. In regards to implants settling that will happen in time. Check with your surgeon regarding massage protocol. You don't want to start massage too early, I recommend my patients start at 3 weeks post op. Don't rush but enjoy the process! 

Best of luck to you.

Comfortable clothing and someone to help

Thanks for the great question. The best things to have after surgery are comfortable clothes and someone to help you around the house for the first couple of days after surgery. There is nothing you should do to help the implants drop. That will happen on their own time and may not even happen at the same time. Each surgeon has very specific post-op instructions so make sure you have those prior to surgery so that you're all ready when you come home. You may be in a surgical bra after surgery, but some patients are more comfortable in cotton sports bras. Ask your surgeon if this is an option for you as well. Best of luck with your surgery.

~Dr. Sieber

Preparing for surgery

Please consult with your surgeon about specific post-operative instructions, as every surgeon has their own preferences. All of my patients have a thorough pre-operative appointment 1-2 weeks prior to surgery to go over the post-op instructions and recommendations in detail. They are also provided a packet with these instructions, so they (and their caretaker) can refer back to it easily. We recommend specific healing supplements for our patients, surgical garments and massage techniques. Your surgeon likely has similar protocol to make your recovery as smooth and comfortable as possible.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Your surgeons office can help

Every Plastic Surgeon may have different protocols for his patients in general, and may have specific suggestions for you.  You should contact your Plastic Surgeon's office for their recommendations.

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Thank you for your question. You should follow all the pre-op indications of your plastic surgeon, he can prescribe some vitamins, comfortable clothes and creams. It would all depend of your medical evaluation with your plastic surgeon. 

I hope my answer will help you to your question.

Before undergoing any surgical procedure, please seek a board certified plastic surgeon

Jairo Ulerio, MD

Post Operative Care

Thank you for your question!

The best thing to do is carefully follow all of your chosen plastic surgeon's post operative instructions.  If you have questions about any instruction, definitely ask for clarification. Your surgeon will know the exact way to care for your healing post surgery. Best of luck to you.

Fred Hackney, MD

Healing instructions

Often time is the best healer but your doctor may have specific things that he might want you to do, and you should ask him.