Persistent crooked middle third with (now) visible grafts? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty to correct a crooked nose 4 months ago, and it now looks pretty awful, especially in natural light. This is mainly due to what appears to be a visible graft or cartilage memory? Could a surgeon theoretically shave down the side bump, or will I need a revision? Thanks!

Rhinoplasty Results

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your results. I know it's frustrating to not have perfect results at 4 months post op, but your nose is still healing. Be patient. There is a chance that the "crookedness" will resolve itself with time. My best advise would be for you to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. If a revision is deemed necessary, I would probably advise you to wait a year anyway. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

Your nose can be re-operated and improved, which is revision surgery.  It may also require further grafting, but the best thing to do is go back to the surgeon who did your operation and let them know what is bothering you.

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

4 months post op. some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

This area is more likely bony or cartilage of the dorsum.. You will have to see how it settles with time. I would wait a good year for revision to allow for swelling to subside.

Thank you for your question and photo. I do see what you are talking about. Generally speaking, it is a little early for any intervention as the nose is still healing (upto a year). If this does not resolve or improve after healing period is over then you have some options. from least invasive to most invasive: 

- non surgical rhinoplasty: fillers to camuoflage minor issues

- minor revision: rasping the bumps that you see 

- major revision: to repair structural problems such as crooked nose, tip problems etc.

Certainly, follow up with your surgeon is recommended to follow the healing process. Good luck.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose Post-Operatively

The area of your concern in the middle third is an unlikely area for a graft of that shape. It is possible the it is an irregular area of bone, cartilage, or both, the was hidden by swelling in the weeks and months after your surgery.  You are still relatively early in your recovery though, by the phrasing of your question, I'm sure you feel it's been a long time.  The nose will continue to "settle" for up to a year from your surgery.  How and when to intervene are very difficult questions to answer in this setting and necessitates you speaking with your surgeon at length.  There are quick fixes available with fillers that may be of immediate help though they could delay revision surgery if needed as they would have to dissolve prior to further surgical intervention.  My suggestion would be to meet with your surgeon and thoroughly discuss your options. 

Mark Murphy, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty options

Thank you for the question and photos.  You have a few options available to you to either camouflage or correct the bump that you have shown in the photo including:

• Revision rhinoplasty via a intra-nasal incision
  • Complete revision rhinoplasty
  • Injection of steroid into the bump area
  • Placement of filler around the bump to camouflage it (non-surgical rhinoplasty)

I would touch base with your plastic surgeon and discuss these options.  If the bump is cartilage and it simply needs to be shaved down, then the first option seems like a good definitive treatment.

Good luck with your nose shaping journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinion horns

The 2 bumps most likely are cartilage in the area of the rhinion.  These could be the grafts or you own cartilage.  These can be shaved down easily as a procedure under local anesthesia without much downtime.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small bump after rhinoplasty

That small bump likely can be rasped down without you having to go to sleep.  All the incision would likely be made inside the nose.  Easy recovery likely too.  Need to check with your surgeon.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD