I have recently noticed that my left nostril is longer than my right one, should I do an rhinoplasty? (Photo)

Nostril asymmetry

Nostril asymmetry is normal and everyone has some degree of it. Before undergoing a rhinoplasty procedure, it's very important to understand what can and cannot be accomplished with the procedure. There is no perfect nose. From the one limited photograph, the asymmetry is very minimal and probably best left alone 

Hello and thank you for your question. Nostril asymmetry is very common.  It depends on how much it bothers you.  Nostril shape can be altered with many techniques including alar batten cartilage grafts.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph.I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so that they can perform a nasal examination on you and give you the best recommendations. From what I can tell from your photographs, you would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing along with an alarplasty which is a technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry ?

The simple answer is ...leave it alone.  Operating on  such minor differences can often lead to unfavorable results which lead to additional scars and more problems.

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nostril asymmetry

No one is exactly symmetric. If you have only just noticed it then it is not likely a big concern to you and you are merely asking. I would not recommend surgery for a small asymmetry you have just "discovered". Ignore it and move on.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Nasal asymmetry

Everyones nose is a bit different and everyone has nasal asymmetry with nostrils all being of slightly different sizes. Sometimes alar surgery can improve it and sometimes it can not.

Rhinoplasty for tip asymmetry

To have surgery or not is purely a personal decision.  A valid reason for surgery would be if the asymmetry is causing you concern (aesthetic) or is causing nasal airway compromise.  Consult a facial plastic surgeon who specialises in rhinoplasty to get a better idea of the problem.  Hope this is helpful

Bothering You or Trouble Breathing?

Many people have small asymmetries to there nose and never do anything about it because it doesn't bother them.  First, I would figure out if this nostril problem is impeding your breathing at all.  I would then decide if this nostril problem is bothering you and you are not happy with how it looks.  Next, I would make a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what the options are for improvement.  There are many good ones in Toronto.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon