My nose is over projected! I would prefer not having alar base reduction surgery. How much flare if I take my nose in 4mm?

I have an over projected nose & don't want to get an alar base reduction of nostrils and risk uneven nostrils. Is there away to show my self in the mirror or figure out how much nostril flare I will have after reducing my projection of my nose 4mm.

Tip deprojection does not necessarily require an alar base reduction too.

While there isn't a good way for you to simulate the results of a rhinoplasty yourself, do note that reducing the projection of the tip does NOT always require reducing the alar base as well. There are several ways to reduce the projection of the nose, even by quite a lot, without causing nostril flare (e.g., vertical dome division, medial and lateral crural overlay, etc.). A surgeon who focuses primarily on noses could give you a better sense of what's required in your case. Rhinoplasty is not just some formulaic operation, but should be customized to the patient's specific anatomy and aesthetic goals.
--DCPPearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the overly projected nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish de-projection of the nose through a variety of techniques. The nostrils can flare slightly after the procedure. Also important to look at the projection of the chin, since many overly projecting nose patients have a week and recessive chin. Chin implants are placed for these patients in addition to the rhinoplasty procedure. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below 

3D simulation for rhinoplasty patients

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and offers some sort of 3D simulation so you can show the doctor what you wish to achieve. At my practice we offer Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view your face and nose and see what it would look like after your rhinoplasty.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix  is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own nose changing in size and shape. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip de-projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Find a rhinoplasty expert who has lots of pictures of nasal tip de-projections and schedule an in-person consultation so you can be evaluated in detail.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD