Is it normal to be "lumpy" 5 days after liposuction?

I am 5 days post op from having liposuction done on my abdomen. I noticed that my stomach is very lumpy in some areas. For example, my lower stomach has a weird pouch. Is this normal? I know it's too early to tell, but will everything smooth out after all the swelling and numbness goes away?

Lumpiness 5 days following liposuction

At 5 days following liposuction it is very common almost expected for there to be some "lumpy" areas or a pouch.  I advise my patients to wait at least 3 months before assessing any result and even that isn't long enough.  Patience and following your surgeon's post care instruction will get you the best results.

Best Dr. L

Post liposuction lumpyness

Its far too early to judge. Lumpyness is normal post liposuction and will always settle down over time. You need to be patient, continue to wear your garment and consult your surgeon if you have on going concerns

Mansoor Khan, BSc(Hons), MD, FRCS(Plast)
Southampton Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from liposuction

Less that a week post-procedure your body is still adjusting to the abrupt change in fluids and tissue. It takes up to 6 months to settle so treat yourself kindly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. In a couple of months you can try from skin tightening sessions such as Venus Legacy or Cellactor shockwaves to help recovery and skin health.

Neil Sadick, MD

Knowing What's Normal After Liposcution--Add Venus Legacy, Cellutone to your aftercare

Yes, this is normal. You may have lumps, firmness and swelling for 3-6 months after your procedure. I recommend adding hyperbaric oxygen and lymphatic massage along with your compression to help decrease swelling.  I also recommend adding coolsculpting/vanquish for further fat removal, exilis/venus legacy for skin tightening, cellutone/z wave to make the skin smooth, remove scar tissue, and improve the skin's appearance. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction lumpiness - is this normal.

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Liposuction is always a bit unnerving -
  • Yes, lumps are common and gravity pulls swelling down so the lower abdomen swells more.
  • Chances are everything will heal fine - but see your surgeon and discuss your concerns -
  • Occasionally a touch up is needed six months afterwards to smooth a result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is it normal to be "lumpy" 5 days after liposuction

Liposuction comes with some significant swelling that can last up to a year to completely resolve. It can also appear lumpy and hard for awhile until the tissue starts to lose some of the initial swelling. there are massage techniques, as well as possible radio frequency treatments that can be performed in order to help this process along. Follow up with your surgeon for his/her recommendations. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon