What can be done about nasal degeneration? (Photos)

I recently noticed that my nose looked different than it did even 6 months ago. Within the past two weeks I have noticed major changes. I am losing the tip of my nose and my nostril tissue is thin. My nostril holes are widening and I am losing my nostrils. In the pictures I provided you can see a white shiny part around my nostrils and nose and tip. This area stings and the tissue is very soft. This is where I am seeing the changes. I'm 30 and have never done drugs. Thanks!

Changing nose

As you describe an active, non traumatic, on-going, nasal process, one has to think that this is not a surgical problem. You may want to see a dermatologist first.

Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a physical nasal examination and give you the best recommendations. From the looks of your photographs and what you are describing, you could build up the tip of your nose with cartilage from the nose or ear (this does not deform the ear) or MTF cartilage which is human donor cartilage. Then perform an alarplasty to reduce the size of the nostrils so they are not as wide. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD