Should my nipple still look like this 4 months after gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

I'm very unhappy and upset with the results of my surgery. I saw my doctor 2 months ago and she said it seemed to be progressing fine but I absolutely disagree. I still look like I have gynecomastia. I have heard that it can take up to 9 months to see the full results but I highly doubt the nipple should still be so puffy after 4 months. Any advice or words for me good doctor? Also, do plastic surgeons usually charge for touch up surgeries and if not, is the healing process usually just as long?

Nipples Still Puffy 4 Months After Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults. As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Swelling Common for Months after Gynecomastia Surgery

Swelling after Breast Reduction takes many months to see the final result. Elastic Garments and massage shortens this process. The larger the reduction the longer it takes as a general rule. Give your surgeon the benefit of the doubt for now.

I would still recommend waiting a few more months before assessing the final outcome of your surgery.  You may require additional subareola excision of breast tissue.   Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Nipple Puffiness after Gynecomastia Reduction Surgery

Residual puffiness of the nipple after gynecomastia surgery. particularly after three or more months, is residual breast tissue. This is not uncommon and is a better problem to manage secondarily than over resection of the breast gland tissue and an inverted contracted nipple.