Is under or over the muscle? (photos)

Hi could you guys tell me if those girls got under or over the muscle? I just need to know what type of look that is because that's what I want

Is the breast implant under or over the muscle?

I cannot tell by looking at photographs whether the implants are placed under the muscle or over.  However if you're considering breast implants there are many very important benefits to having the implant placed underneath the chest muscle.  Please consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Under vs Over the muscle

Submuscular placement may be more uncomfortable the first few days following surgery. The possible benefits of submuscular placement are that it may result in less palpable implants, less capsular contracture, and it will make it easier to image the breast with mammography. The appearance may be more “natural” for patients who are very thin. Subglandular placement may make your surgery andrecovery shorter and you may have less discomfort. This placement may provide a slight “lift”. Subglandular placement may result in more palpable implants, more capsular contracture and more difficult imaging of the breast with mammography. This placement is often recommended for those patients with sagging, but do not want a breast lift (mastopexy) and for tubular breast deformity

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. There are a number of pros and cons to each approach. Implants are typically placed under the muscle in order to decrease visible and palpable irregularities and also decrease the risk of abnormal scar formation which is called capsular contracture. This does however increase the gap between the breasts and also results in what is referred to as animation deformity when the chest muscles contract. Finally sub-muscular placement does improve the ability to read a mammograms over those placed above the muscle.

Placement of the implant above the muscle will eliminate animation deformity and may allow the implants to be placed closer together to decrease your breast gap. However, there is a potential concern for abnormal scar development. Mammograms are also potentially affected for implants placed above the muscle.  There is some information that suggests that women with textured implants have a lower rate of capsular contracture when placed above the muscle than smooth implants.

There is a final option where an implant placed above the muscle can be combined with fat transfer which would minimize irregularities that may occur while reducing animation muscle problems. It would also allow liposuction to be achieved in patients with troubling areas of fat excess. Please see the attached video for further explanation and demonstrations of these concerns. I hope this helps you have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  It is not possible to tell based on these photographs.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Under or over

Thanks for the question, but it is not possible to tell if these implants are above or below the muscles from these photos. However this look can be achieved by either implant position depending on your chest shape and choice of implant.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Under the muscle

It is not possible to tell the position of these implants both from the pictures and also the very large size of the implants. The woman in the fourth photo has the most natural looking augmentation and these are most likely under the muscle.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Under or Over Muscle with Breast Implants

I don't think anyone can, with absolute certainty, know which implants in those photos are above and which are below muscle. The decision as to where to place implants considers several factors. Surgeon preference, BMI, breast tissue thickness, prior surgery...all are consideration. It's more complex than just picking for a look. A plastic surgeon can help guide you through the selection process. Best of luck.

Implant pocket

One can not tell from the photos posted whether they are below or above the muscle.  Many are placed  below the muscle.