Major hair loss, thinning and a receding hairline at 22 years old. What are my options? (Photos)

From 5-21 yo, I was forced to wear a hijab/niqab with a very tight hair cap. The excessive tension on my scalp caused the balding/thinning. At 12, my father put hair removal on my head to discipline me for removing my hijab. I was bald from the front and received a terrible chemical burn. I still wear a scarf b/ I'm terribly insecure. Even though I'm a broke student, I'm considering hair transplants. Would I be a candidate? If so, what would be a rough estimate of hair grafts needed?

Doctor Answers 4

Hair loss at 22 years old

Thinning in a 22 year old should not seek our a hair transplant.  Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Photos cannot diagnosis your hair loss. The old fashion way of seeing a doctor in person for an examination is still the b

Photos cannot diagnosis your hair loss. The old fashion way of seeing a doctor in person for an examination is still the best option.   Excessive tension or pull on your hair can cause permanent traction alopecia.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Traction hair loss

You first need to see a hair specialist to find the cause for your hair loss. Wether your hair loss is genetic or you have traction alopecia, either way you can be helped by hair transplant. During the consult the doctor will give you an estimate of the number of grafts and the cost for the procedure. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Hair transplant

Thank you for this question. I am so sorry to read of your experience. It is not possible with text and pictures to determine if you are a good candidate for transplant. At this point, you should see a physician with a focus on hair restoration to examine you.  The health of your scalp need to be determined in person.  Best of luck.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.