I have loose skin lower abs. Is mini tummy tuck the way to go? What should my expectations be? (photos)

im 24,athletic body,pretty healthy. As a teenager i was really fat. i lost lots of weight at the age of 17. been workin out quite a lot since then and kinda transformed my body. During my pick i can clearly see my abs defined! it has always been an obsession of mine. I have exesive skin at the lower abs though. it always bothered me. Would tummy tuck help me? Am i a good candidate?

Loose skin after weight loss

Loose lower abdominal skin in patients who have lost weight is due to the inability of the skin to shrink enough with the loss of fat.  External radiofrequency RF treatments may provide temporary improvement. The Smart Lipo, Cellulaze internal LAZER may afford more long lasting tightening.  Removal of skin is the most reliable tightening option available.  A scar is the trade off which must be accepted in exchange for the tightening.
Please use this information when consulting in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

In-Person Consultation to Discuss Goals

In your photos, I’m unable to see the loose skin in your lower abs and I’m not sure if there would be a sufficient amount to make surgery a suitable option, and to warrant the resulting scar. An in-person consultation would be more effective in determining your best course of action.

Thank you for your question and congrats on being in great shape. Looking at your pictures there is very little I would offer you. With that said if you absolutely hate the excess skin in your lower abdomen I would recommend an evaluation with a surgeon to determine how much skin can be realistically taken off. You would obviously be trading the excess skin for a scar in this case. 

Best wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question and photos! I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon ChicagoHoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin

Dear iliaspro,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. From the photographs it appears you have very little excess skin of the lower abdomen in the position and poses that are featured. A physical examination with a certified plastic surgeon would confirm this. However, if there is slight degree of laxity often non-surgical techniques such as bulk heating RF devices; the Venus Freeze, the Forma Plus, Accent or the Exilis could provide some ongoing bulk skin tightening without a scar.

With minimal skin laxity is rarely a good exchange to have a lower abdominal scar, however, horizontal incisions placed through the pubic hair in the lower pubic region can remove minor to moderate degrees of skin. The risk/benefit ratio of a scar versus mild skin laxity would bear discussion with your certified plastic surgeon.

At this point in time you need to continue to exercise and perhaps consider pursuing non-surgical skin tightening options.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Loose skin after weight loss and fitness

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• Congratulations on the weight loss and fitness - a great achievement.
  • You need an examination to know the best treatment -
  • I have seen many men whose loose skin doesn't show in a photo but is clear on exam.
  • The best way to get rid of loose skin is surgical removal with tightening of the deep fascia.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS