How long will I have to wait to start working out vigorously again?

I go to an intense and physically engaging school. It is dance oriented. The break is 4 weeks long every 3 months and I'd like to do this in between terms. With all of the movement my back is suffering from the weight on my chest. My cup size is G.

Breast Reduction

I would ask your PS about working out postop. Usually I would recommend caution for the first 6 weeks but often if all has healed patients can get back to regular workouts at the 4 week period. 

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Working out after breast reduction

While your surgeon will be able to tell you exactly how long you should refrain from vigorous physical activity, generally speaking you should wait at least 6-8 weeks after surgery. You may be able to start cardio before that, but strength training requires a longer wait time.

Start working out vigorously again after breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Generally, it is best to follow your surgeon's  guidelines in regards to return to activity/ exercise. Most of my patients are able to return to vigorous activity about 4 to 6 weeks after the breast reduction surgery.  My best advice: start slow and listen to your body as you gradually return to full activity.   Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast reduction and activity

I usually allow my patients to go back to light aerobics within 3-4 weeks and then heavy lifting and exertion within 6-8 weeks.

Scarless reduction

with a traditional reduction a cunt September would be between one and two months. With the liposuction only  operation I tell my patients they are able to do whatever they are comfortable doing whenever they feel up to it. Would probably be in the 1 to 2 week range.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

How long will I have to wait to start working out vigorously again after breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for your question.  Not every surgeon has the same post operative instructions for every patient.  There are many concerns to be considered including lifestyle and risks of complications.  The most accurate advice would come from the surgeon who performs your reduction.  In my practice it is common for a patient to resume cardiovascular intense exercise in as little as 3-4 weeks.  Not all patients are able to achieve this goal and one must balance the desire to return to activity with the safety of allowing one's body to heal and avoid any complications from re engaging into activity prematurely.  Start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Be sure to see plenty of before and after photos to get an idea of the range of patient experience of your surgeon. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon