How long after rhinoplasty and deviated septum operation should I start using saline nasal spray?

It's been almost 48 hours since i had my septum realigned and my dorsal hump removed. I've been getting mixed information on the internet about nasal spray; some websites say to start the day after the surgery, others say to wait until the splint's removed, and some websites say to wait 4 weeks. In general, for a surgery like mine, how long until i should use the nasal spray? i have a simple no-brand nasal spray from the drug store. Also, should i be putting vaseline in my nostrils as well?

Nasal spray

I think that it is best to ask your surgeon what his preference is in terms of using nasal sprays. I do not allow my patients to put anything in their nose for at least a week.

Post rhinoplasty nasal irrigation

I generally recommend starting post nasal surgery care on the first postoperative day This includes saline mist, nasal lubricants such rhino gel and polysporin and nasal cleaning with peroxide soaked qtips

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon