Lips are burnt 2 days after Restylane. (photo)

I had restylane injected in my lips for the first time by a nurse 6 days ago .I have had juvederm injected by a doctor before & did not have any issues except a little bruising. This morning I experienced a burning sensation on my bottom lip, while brushing my teeth! When I took a closer look at my lip I noticed I have two red patches, they sting &burn when anything touches them &have now begun to itch. I am terrified is this an infection or is my lip skin just overly filled ?

Burning following Restylane Injections

Restylane is a great product for lip injections.  It is possible that you are beginning to get a herpes infection in the lips.  I would consult a board certified dermatologist right away to see what the best treatment for your condition is.

Lips are burnt

Dear Jlips,

As outlined in my response previously, there can be several important causes for the blistering, discolouration and pain that occurred following your lip augmentation. It is very important you seek the advice on an experienced injection physician that can best assess the underlying cause and provide reassurance and treatment.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, MD
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Burning and redness after filler

Make sure you go back right away to be evaluated. You could have a herpes cold sore or other process developing. An in office evaluation would be the best. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Schedule a follow up with your injector to discuss your concerns and obtain an in person assessment.

Schedule a follow up with your injector to discuss your concerns and obtain an in person assessment. Burning is not a normal sensation following lip injections. Slight discomfort, pain and swelling can all be apparent for 2 weeks. 

All the Best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Cold Sores after Restylane

I can't tell much from your photo, but your description sound a lot like you have an outbreak of cold sores.  Following any trauma to this area of your face (including injection of filler material), you are at risk of developing cold sores.  It's best to see the individual that injected you so that you can be placed on antiviral medications.  I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after lip injection

Likely this is just swelling from the sites of the needle entrance. Make sure to follow up with your injector at the one to two week mark to ensure it is healing correctly.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after lip injections

Pain after filler injections can be a sign that something bad is happening. You need an in person evaulation - it is difficult to tell what is going on from the photo you posted. It sounds like you may have an outbreak of cold sores, but you need to make sure you dont have a bacterial infection. See a doctor as soon as possible.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blisters after filler to lips

You don't have a burn. You have blisters because you have a herpetic outbreak. You need Valtrex or Acyclovir to treat this. Please see a doctor.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Lips

Do you have a history of herpes infections? If do, you need to see your doctor as soon as you can for an evaluation. Best to have a physician do your injections even if it costs more

David A. Bray, Sr., MD