Liposuction or brachioplasty for my arms? (Photos)

Liposuction or brachioasty for my arms? I am 60 years old in relatively good shape, exercise daily but have always had fat arms. I am located in Toronto Ontario Canada.

Arm lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a brachioplasty, not liposuction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Arm lift vs. liposuction

Liposuction will remove the fatty tissue in the area, but will have little effect on tightening the skin.  It can leave loose, hanging skin behind depending on skin elasticity.  An arm lift will remove both excess fatty tissue as well as the loose skin.  The trade off though is a scar that will be from the armpit area to about the elbow.  I recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more and discuss your surgical goals.

Camille Cash, MD

Arm lift

Thank you for your picture and question, liposuction alone would not help with the excess skin, consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

Options for Arm Rejuvenation

Surgical options for rejuvenation of arm include variations of Brachioplasty, which is the vast majority of cases includes Liposuction.  For Liposuction alone to be an option, you would need good quality skin that will retract to achieve a good result. Brachioplasty involves removal of not only the excess fat but also excision of excess skin of the arms. The trade-off for improved arm contour, are scars. A non-surgical fat-reduction option is Coolsculpting, Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Liposuction or brachioplasty for my arms?

Thanks for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, I think you will do best with an arm lift operation; in my practice, I would not offer you a liposuction surgery alone (I share concerns about the potential for "loose skin"). Best to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Learn about the pros/cons/possible risks/complications associated with the procedure as well. You may find the attached link, dedicated to arm lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes

Liposuction vs brachiaplasty

I always perform Vaser ultrasound liposuction and/or Smart Lipo on the arms as both will tighten skin to avoid unsightly brachiaplasty scars. In a small percentage of cases, extra skin tightening such as Thermi Tight RF or a small excision months later. I reserve brachiaplasty for extreme cases.An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.