Is lipo of buttocks an option?

Can lipo be performed on the buttocks, not around it, and if so why is this not typically available even for docs who specialize in liposculpture.

Is lipo of buttocks an option?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Liposuction to the buttocks is not a good option because the buttocks can get really saggy and fluffy, that never look's good. I do not recommend it.
This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Liposuction of Buttocks

Thank you for your question. yes, this is an option, but usually not a very good one. The skin can get saggy, and llumps may occur fromt eh fat removal. You may look good in tight pants, but in a bathing suit, things may not be very galmorous. Sculpting the buttock is better than just sheer volume reduction. I hope this helps!

Is Lipo of Buttocks an option ?

Yes  of course, is an usual procedure  in my practice.

The most important thing is  to avoid doing  to much lipo for not  causing flaccidity of the buttocks. 

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Buttocks liposuction/liposculpture

Great question!  Many surgeon do not do liposculpture of the buttocks, because they are uncomfortable.  In my opinion to accomplish successful liposculpture of the buttocks one needs to be comfortable with a technique called "Superficial Liposuction/Liposculpture," which accomplishes skin tightening as the same time as fat reduction.  I suggest looking for a plastic surgeon that does a lot of liposuction/liposculpture as part of there practice and ask specifically if they do the technique I described, as I do a lot of this technique in the buttocks an am quite comfortable with buttocks liposculpture. 

Liposuction of buttocks

Liposuction is typically done above the buttocks, but not on the buttocks in most women, since it may flatten and cause the buttocks to sag.  Some black women can be treated successfully with liposuction to the buttocks, if it is not too aggressive. Liposuction on the lower part may give difficulties in sitting for long periods of time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction buttocks

It can be performed but it flattens the buttocks in a way which does not enhance the body.  This is why most people do not perform it.  In the few patients who have really wanted the procedure, they were happy with the outcome, but everyone else would agree that the look is not good.

Liposuction / Liposculpture/ Lipotransfer to the Buttocks

Liposuction / Liposculpture can be used on virtually any area of the body to sculpt and remove fat.  Many woman want to enhance their buttocks which can be done by liposuction of excess fat with lipotransfer to the buttocks.  During this procedure, the buttocks are routinely sculpted on the periphery to enhance their shape.  Some men and woman have excess fat or enlarged buttock areas which can also be treated with liposuction directed over the buttocks.  It is important to liposuction over the buttocks in a deep plane to create a natural appearance.  Cellulite areas can also be corrected at this time.  You may need to get an opinion from another cosmetic surgeon   

Buttock liposculpture in Los Angeles

Liposculpture of the buttocks is an excellent procedure and will work well to reshape and contour the buttocks and hips and thighs.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Buttock Liposuction

The curves of the human body involve a relationship between volume (fat) and contour (skin). When the breasts involute after breastfeeding, for example, there is more skin than breast tissue and the breasts appear to droop (ptosis). The treatment for this is to either augment the breast (with an implant) and/or to lift the breast by removing skin.

While liposuction can remove fat from most areas without skin drooping (and with certain liposuction treatments, eg laser-assisted liposuction, the skin can be tightened to a certain degree) removing fat from the buttock itself results in drooping of the skin and buttock overall. It still is possible to perform small amounts of liposuction from this area, as I have done, but it must be performed judiciously in order to prevent drooping (ptosis).

It is possible but rarely asked for

The buttocks is rarely made smaller. Brazilian butt lifts or gluteal enhancements are common.  

Lipo of the buttocks can lead to a poor aesthetic outcome. It can look lumpy and unnatural. It is also a functional area. You sit on it, so it may not be great idea.  

This is a situation that needs to be addressed with a in-person consultation.

Find a plastic surgeon who can do liposuction and open surgery. Contact their office and ask if they consider buttocks liposuction.

Emailing pictures before your consult may save some time. A surgeon may be able to say yes, no or maybe based on pictures only. A full consult is mandatory before committing to surgery.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD