Will I be able to lift my son 2 weeks after breast augmentation or am I not to pick him up at all until 4 weeks?

Got surgery done on sept 12. I have someone watching him until the 27. Will I be okay to lift him after just the two weeks or will that cause complications?

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  When it comes to your own recovery and post operative care, it is always advisable to speak with your operating surgeon first, as every surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions designed to ensure the best results for their patients.  Consult with your surgeon before doing anything.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Breast augmentation post-op care

Hello, Thanks for your question. Its pretty important for you to know that breast augmentation its a proccedure like all the others even if you see a littler scar, and you feel able to make things like lift your son for example. its need at least 3-4 weeks to start making sime type of movements. IMPORTANT also FOLLOW you doctor orders, have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

First, it is important that you follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon. By 2 weeks most patients can carefully hold children who live less than 10 pounds by supporting the child with your knee.  However if you have breast implants placed under the chest muscle he will likely not be fully comfortable lifting children until 3 weeks.  Please follow your plastic surgeon's advice.

I probably would let you lift your child if it is comfortable for you

it can vary from patient to patient. however, most of my patients are lifting their children at 2 weeks. you can also do things, like use your knee to help a child climb into the car or get into a chair. i try and get my patients moving and back to normal as quickly as tolerated. 

Listen to your body and see how it feels. Some surgeons are more conservative, so it would be polite to check with your own surgeon.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after augmentation

I prefer patients do not lift more than 5-10 lbs for about 3-4 weeks minimum.  You should ask your surgeon his opinion.

Lifting a child after breast augmentation surgery

It is always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients that they can lift their child the third day after surgery to transfer to a high chair, car seat, crib, etc. By the 14th day they are usually quite comfortable carrying their child all day, if necessary. At this point in time, listening to your body and your comfort level is key. Hope this helps and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Picking up son after breast augmentation

The best one to ask is your surgeon. They will know how the procedure went, and how you are healing. Usually it is fine to lift your son depending on his size by using your knees and arms carefully to lift him. But check with your surgeon first.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon