Lidocaine injected separately into nasolabial folds prior to Radiesse filler; is this common practice?

Is this a common practice, the administration of lidocaine prior to injectable filler?

Lidocaine and fillerq

It is not very common but there is nothing wrong with it. Radiesse now comes with lidocaine already mixed with it but some doctors prefer mixing their own or injecting in the area because there is no epinephrine in the one from the company and epinephrine will prevent bruising

Nashville Dermatologist

Injecting lidocaine before Radiesse

Hi. It is generally standard protocol to put topical local anaesthetic cream followed by Radiesse mixed with lidocaine. Most practitioners do not inject lidocaine into the area as it may mask the wrinkles that need to be treated. There is no set rule and practioners have many different techniques As long as you have good results that is the most important thing.

Radiesse and Results

Technique will vary from each practice, but typically a topical numbing agent is applied prior to Radiesse injections. Some physicians may mix liodcaine with Radiesse for numbing, and Radiesse+ contains a small amount of lidocaine within the syringe. Best to speak to your physician if you have any concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Radiesse and lidocaine

I give my patient the option of having a local anesthetic block with lidocaine if they want to feel less pain.  Otherwise I mix in the lidocaine solution into the Radiesse product so the patient feels on average a 2 out of 10 pain level - very well tolerated.  I always sterilize the skin prior to all of my injections.

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injecting Lidocaine before Fillers

Some physicians may inject lidocaine before fillers but I don't think this is common practice because in most locations the added anesthetic will make it difficult to contour the tissue with the filler. Most fillers have lidocaine in the syringe or it is easily added to the solution before injection.

Lidocaine injection prior to filler....

Thank you for your question.  While each physician may have their own technique to inject fillers, typically injecting lidocaine separately to an area prior to filler injection is not advised as it may distort the anatomy.  Radiesse+ has 0.3% integral lidocaine premixed, otherwise typically Radiesse is mixed with lidocaine prior to injection using a connector kit and swishing the lidocaine into the Radiesse approximately 20 times prior to injecting the combined product.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Lidocaine injected separately into nasolabial folds prior to Radiesse

Each physician that injects a filler, such as Radiesse, may have a particular preference for the use of local anesthetics for the treatment.  There is no one common method.  Some physicians may use nothing, as Radiesse has lidocaine in it (or it can be added to it).  Some physicians may use topical anesthesia, some may use a local anesthetic (such as lidocaine), and other may use nerve blocks.  The method used should not affect the result of the Radiesse.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon