Laser labiaplasty concerns. (photos)

I had some concerns with the way my labia looks a day post op. I believe I have a burn blister on my labia majora. Would someone confirm this? I know the area is still swollen but It seems like it will heal really nicely with time. I am also concerned with the clitoral hood area. There seems to be a slight opening where the stitching is. Will this close on its own or should I have a revision? Right now I have been keeping the area clean and applying the fucidin cream along with ice.

There a positives and negatives to using the laser for labiaplasty procedures. I find that the laser results in more swelling due to the extreme heat used during the procedures.  A risk of burning is also present with the use of the laser but can be corrected after you've recovered.

Laser Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.   Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

LASER Labiaplasty Limitations

Thank you for posting your LASER labiaplasty photos with your question. It appears that you are quite swollen after your LASER labiaplasty. I usually do not see this degree of swelling, because I do not use a LASER which delivers a lot of heat energy to the delicate tissues.  This LASER heat energy produces more swelling, burns the edges of the tissue as it cuts and coagulates, in turn, delaying healing. Most of my labiaplasty patients have some pain overnight and thereafter are fine. The swelling decreases faster and they can return to sexual activity in 4 weeks. Fortunately, the labia minora tissue heals well and once the swelling decreases, you should be fine. I recommend that you return for follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that performed your labiaplasty. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Laser labiaplasty concerns

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately due to the amount of swelling in your tissues it is difficult to make definite recommendations on your current results but in answer to your question your right labia majora does appear to have a small blister, whether due to a burn or pressure or the swelling of the tissues the etiology is unclear.  You do have a small opening near your incision site on the clitoral hood, but it is small enough that if you allow it to heal on its own it should not affect your long-term results.  Hope this helps.

A post-op question that should be asked of your surgeon!

A surgical fee includes 24/7 availability for the exact questions you ask. YOUR SURGEON (you know, the one you paid!) is the one to whom to direct your questions. Send her or him your photos-- (s)he knows exactly what they did & can answer your concerns accurately.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, Ca, USA

Your day one labiaplasty look fine, but pulling on your scars to take a photo is foolish

The first week of healing is Frankenstein week in regards to appearance. Swelling, bruising and distortion will be at their maximum. Small openings are insignificant. The blister will heal, but it is not possible to determine how it developed. Don't pull on your scars. Next to a tub bath, pulling on scars is one of the worst things you can do after a labiaplasty.

Laser Labia plasty concerns

First, please know that there have never been any serious scientific studies which prove that a skin incision heals any better with a laser than a scalpel. It's major benefit is often from it's marketing to those who believe that it it true.

Yes, you have a blister which can be treated with topical antibiotic ointment.

Your photo is remarkable because the little parallel lines next to the incision show were a crushing clamp was placed on the tissues. Personally, I find the use of such crude technique to be unacceptable. Labia reduction was performed this way in the past. It is past time for a certain specialty to abandon such assembly line technique and treat these fine and delicate tissues with the delicacy they deserve. Just because the tissues are hidden from public view and will heal eventually does not mean that crushing of thin fine skin is acceptable.

You will heal and likely be fine with time.  Hopefully, your photos and experience with encourage patients in the future to select surgeons who use fine sutures, instruments, and technique such as those routinely applied to eyelid skin. If eyelid surgery is too delicate for the labia surgeon, perhaps he or she should reconsider it as a procedure that they offer.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Please discuss with your surgeon

It is very difficult to assess a patient using photos over the internet especially one day after surgery. If you have concerns about the technique you should really ask your surgeon.  Generally you have a ton of swelling and it is difficult to assess until the swelling dissipates--- your hood looks fine and yes there is a small opening--- you would benefit from NOT pulling on it. Each time you pull on it you increase the risk of separating it further. It will heal and your surgeon does NOT need to put another suture there.  It will heal. Best of Luck with your recovery and see your surgeon so he can discuss the results with you.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai