Kybella or coolsculpting for my ugly double chin? (Photos)

I am a 43 yr old with a terrible double chin. I have been reading about kybella and cool sculpting and I am trying to figure out which one would give me the best results. I am not interested in having surgery, but I am very concerned about being left with sagging skin after the fat is gone. Is one method more successful for a candidate in my age range? How many treatments are generally needed in this area? Do I need to do any skin tightening treatments at the same time to ensure success?

Kybella and CoolSculpting can both give good results

Thank you for your question. In my practice, we offer both Kybella and CoolSculpting to treat submental fat (double chin). I believe that you could achieve excellent results with either of these treatments. Both should provide significant improvement with a single treatment but you may choose to have additional treatments for even better results. You do not appear to have a great amount of skin excess and laxity and I would expect you to have adequate skin contraction after either Kybella or CoolSculpting. I would not recommend any simultaneous skin tightening but if you were not completely satisfied with the amount of skin contraction once the post-treatment inflammation resolved, then a skin tightening procedure such as Ulthera could be performed at that time. 

Other options for treating your double chin would include liposuction and a neck lift. I would also discuss with you the option of augmenting your chin with an implant or with injectable fillers or grafting of your own fat to further improve your profile. Consult an experienced ABPS certified plastic surgeon who performs all of these procedures to help you decide on the treatment plan that best suits your goals. 

Good luck.

Dr. Polo

Kybella vs Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question and pictures. Most likely either treatment will work for you. However, at my office I only use Kybella. I have found that with Kybella I can more precisely target the areas of fat to create optimal results. Your next step should be to meet in person for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who specializes in submental fat treatments so that they can examine you in person and truly determine which procedure will give YOU the best results. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Kybella and Ulterapy

Thank you for your question and for sharing appropriate pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for Kybella or Cool Mini. Both of these procedures will remove excess fat underneath the chin. If you are left with loose skin and do not wish to undergo surgery, you might consider Ultherapy. This is a skin tightening treatment that would provide a non-surgical lift. For precise recommendations, please work with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Kybella and CoolMini Can Both Remove Double Chins

Kybella uses deoxycholic acid to melt submental fat. CoolMini lowers the temperature of fat under the chin sufficiently to destroy fat cells. You will probably need at least two sessions of whichever method you choose. Both procedures need several months before full results are seen, as the body must process and eliminate the dead fat cells through the lymph system. Results are permanent in both cases. There are few side effects, other than temporary bruising, swelling, soreness and numbness. Neither method can tighten skin, but can be used in conjunction with Ultherapy or another skin-tightening procedure, if needed. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist to find out if Kybella or CoolMini is best for you.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella versus Cool Sculpting

Thank you for your question Lal88. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA-approved non-surgical treatment for the double chin. Cool Sculpting has a new applicator called the Mini which can also treat this area. I have seen great results from both treatments. Some people do both treatments, and these results are even better. The before and after photographs that I have seen demonstrate the Cool Sculpting is better for those with severe submental fullness. Once the amount of fullness is decreased, the Kybella can provide further improvement. Most patients have 1-2 Cool Sculpting sessions or 2-4 Kybella sessions. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

CoolSculpting and Kybella may be right for you. Skin tightening treatment to be considered afterward

Hello!

I believe you would appreciate the results from either Kybella or CoolSculpting. You will see a reduction in the area of concern and in our experience, we've not seen significant changes in the skin laxity or greater sagging with our patients. We aren't able to assess you in person, however I would encourage you to discuss the skin tightening treatment options as well, because your concern is valid.  Many of our patients choose to do a combination to further tighten and contour their jawline and neck following treatment with Kybella and CoolSculpting.

I wish you well.

Dave Christianson, MD

Dave Christianson, MD
Saint Paul Physician

Combination Treatment

You may want to start with Coolsculpting, and then use Kybella to clean up any fat that may be left. Coolsculpting usually has less downtime, and both are permanent. You may want to see a Doctor in your area for a full evaluation. Hope this helps!

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella vs CoolSculpt

Based solely on your photo, you look as if you'd be a good candidate for either. Personally, I prefer Kybella. I have found the results to be phenomenal. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Thank you for your question. Kybella is a phenomenal substitute for surgery. It is the first and only FDA-approved injectible drug to contour the jawline by eliminating submental fullness for submental fat. In our patients' experience, it is the most effect treatment for improving the neck. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella or Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question. Both Kybella and Coolsculpting offer permanent fat reduction to the submental area. For laxity surgery is gold standard but Kybella can offer skin retraction. Kybella is often performed in a series of 2-4 treatments spaced 6 weeks apart. There can be swelling post treatment for approximately 7-10 days depending on the individual. The only way to determine your true candidacy is with an in person exam. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician