Kybella or Coolsculpt for double chin?

In terms of results and downtime, which is the better procedure? Any other recommended treatments with minimal downtime for a double chin?

Kybella vs. CoolMini

As part of a practice that offers several options for submental fullness (double chin), we often receive questions regarding the benefits of Kybella vs. CoolMini.  To compare, Kybella is an injectable while CoolMini is a non-invasive contouring option.  Kybella is a series of treatment sessions (usually 2-4, but sometimes more if needed) while CoolMini is usually completed in 2 treatment sessions.  Kybella will require more downtime than CoolMini, as swelling and minimal bruising is often noted for several days following Kybella injections.  Kybella is often more individualized, since injections can be placed where they are needed at the discretion of the injector.  The CoolMini applicator is one size, and some patients do not have enough tissue to fit into the device.  For those patients, Kybella may be a better alternative.  Both devices work by "killing" fat cells, but do this by different means.  Because both devices share similarities, I always recommend an in person consultation to discuss expectations and determine the treatment that will yield the most optimal result.

Kybella or Coolsculpt for double chin?

Thank you for your excellent question.  As with all aesthetic procedures treatment options must be individualized to the patient's desired goal outcome and appearance.  Depending on the amount of submental/double chin tissue you have either Kybella, cool sculpting, or formal liposuction are the best treatment choices.  Kybella and cool sculpting afford little downtime, some pain, and typically require a few treatment sessions.  Liposuction works best for larger adipose deposits, result in some pain but can be accomplished in a single procedure.  The best choice for you should be determined through an in-person examination and discussion of these and other factors.  Hope this helps.

Photos would help...these procedure BOTH work...

Kybella can tailor more than CS; however, CS can work in 2 hours and be done with the treatment.  Any smaller details can then be addressed with Kybella.  We have success with this treatment.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Kybella/CoolMini

We offer and love both Coolmini and Kybella. They are both effective methods for submental fat reduction. I would recommend an in person consultation to determine the preferred treatment method based on anatomy, your goals, and candidacy.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Kybella or Coolsculpting for a double chin?

Thanks for your question. Both treatments may be effective for you. Some patients are better suited from one treatment versus another. I highly recommend you visit a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is skilled at both treatments for an evaluation. Kybella has a great track record and my patients are thrilled with it. Both treatments require recovery with swelling. Final results can be several weeks after treatment. I do agree with the other doctors that combining both treatments can yield great results. All the best with your treatments.

Kybella or Coolsculpting

Personally I don't offer the Cool-mini in my office but I think Kybella is amazing. While you will swell a bit after injection (this will happen with Coolsculpting too) the results are remarkable. I've even treated a few patients who had Coolsculpting prior at another office and didn't find their results were even enough so we did Kybella after, and it worked very well. So in my opinion, skip the Coolsculpting and just go with Kybella. In trained hands it is remarkable what it can accomplish even in a single dose. Check out the photo of my medical assistant that I treated one time with one vial. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kybella and Cool Sculpting

Thank you for your questions Shannon71. Kybella and Cool Sculpting are treatments used to address the double chin. They often work well in combination. For those with severe submental fullness, Cool Sculpting Mini is performed once or twice and then a series of Kybella treatments are performed. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Double chin

Good question. 

Kybella is a great treatment for a double chin. It however requires multiple treatment like coolsculpt can. Liposuction is another option for a 1 time treatment.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician

Treatment of the Submental Area

There are a few procedures that can target submental fullness. Liposuction, CoolSculpting, and Kybella are all procedures that have shown to have great results for patients. Both liposuction and Kybella require a brief compression period after treatment. CoolSculpting does not have any downtime. In order to decide which procedure is best for you, it is necessary to have a cosmetic consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck in your research!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs CoolSculpt

Without photos or an in person exam, it is really impossible to say. While both require multiple treatments with little to no downtime for recovery, Kybella is an injectable while CoolSculpt is not. The right choice is really going to depend on the amount of submental fat in your chin area. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon