Can you smoke when having belly button surgery? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck this last April 2014 but wasn't happy with my belly button. I have a revision to have it touched up in 3 days but went out this past weekend and had a few cigarettes. Do I need to cancel my surgery now and reschedule? I'm a social smoker so usually one day a week when I go out with the girls. Thank you very much in advance :)

Umbilical revision

A few cigarettes will not be a problem. I would proceed and not worry. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Smoking several days prior to a minor revision of the belly button is probably not a deal breaker

You must understand two things:  Smoking is not good for healing tissues, ever.  And, none of us has a crystal ball; we can only make educated guesses in situations like this.  Having said that, and given the nature of the surgery that is planned and your rather limited smoking, I would say it's probably not a deal breaker.  Just don't use any more nicotine products between now and surgery, or even for a couple of weeks afterward as well.  Make sure you are up front with your surgeon about your nicotine use too, as his or her determination of the risk is the ultimate decision maker as to whether the surgery should go forward.  He or she needs to know everything about this, and he or she deserves to know.  Good luck.

Belly button revision with smoking

For a minor surgery such as this the risks involved health-wise are probably minimal regarding social smoking.  I would be more concerned with compromising the vasculature to the umbilicus during the surgery.  The most detrimental aspects of smoking and this type of surgery occur as a result of the effects of nicotine.  Nicotine causes vasoconstriction at the level of the arterioles (these are sort of the gateway keepers to the capillaries).  This can cause decreased blood flow and thus damage/loss of tissue.  For a minor surgery such as this with minimal undermining, it is difficult to tell if there will be issues.  Be honest with your surgeon.  He or she knows what was done during the initial surgery and therefore is the best person to tell you if they believe this small amount of smoking will cause an issue.  Take care and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Smoking with belly button surgery

smoking always carries some risk but in a healthy young person having a minor procedure the risk is probably very small.  i am sure your surgeon will counsel you on this matter.

Smoking and Tummy Tuck or Belly Button Surgery

The risk is dependent on many factors, the number of cigarettes, how close to surgery and if any are smoked after surgery, your age, problems with circulation etc. A few cigarettes more than 3 days prior to surgery in an otherwise  a rare (social) smoker is probably not a big risk factor. See below link for more information.