Is it mandatory to wear the strap to get the implants down?

I wore the surgical bra and strap the 1st week and my back hurt so badly I couldn't walk properly. Is the band really that necessary to be worn on week 2? Is it for the look or something more serious? It's so hard being in so much pain every second of the day :(

You should follow your surgeon's recommendation

Your surgeon is the only voice that you should follow about post operative protocols. Some surgeons do not use any kind of straps. Others always use these. Thus there is no consistent protocols and it is best to follow your own surgeons instructions. 

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question. When it comes to your post op care the best advice is always to consult with your operating surgeon first as every surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions.With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast bands after breast augmentation

The superior band should be snug but not painful, adjustment of the band should be discussed with your plastic surgeon. I usually use the band for the first month all the time and the second month at night. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You need to discuss this with your surgeon. There is more than one type of strap. The garments are important. You'd hate to have a problem and end up with a less than perfect result. The nurse may be able to solve this problem for you. 

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - is the strap and bra necessary?

• Thank you for your question about your breast implants.
  • I feel very strongly that any garment or strap that causes severe pain needs to be changed or not used.
  • I have never used a strap on my patients - since trying one on myself -
  • They are horrible.
  • I suggest you tell your surgeon you cannot tolerate the strap.
  • Its purpose is only to encourage the implants to settle in place. It serves no other purpose.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mandatory to wear strap post op BA

Thanks for your question.  If the band is causing so much pain that you are unable to walk properly, my advice is to remove it.  Consult with your PS for his/her personal preference.  Wearing a surgical bra is unlikely to be mandatory.  Good luck.

Surgical Bra

Surgical bras are not necessary for good results post surgery. It is the surgeons preference on when and how to use the bra post surgery depending on each patient individually. Most often with breast augmentation I suggest to my patients using an ace bandage to hold breasts in place and reduce swelling on the upper breast. Post-op breast support is up to the plastic surgeons personal advice. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Is it mandatory to wear a breast band after augmentation.

If the band is too uncomfortable we suggest you give up on it, however we do recommend one for most after augmentation. The band will hold the implant firmly in the lower pocket and help the lower breast skin relax and allow the implant to settle in or "drop". The end results are the same with or without so we feel bands are not mandatory.

Wear a strap

In my experience, a strap, which places downward pressure on an implant to settle into the bottom of the pocket created for it, is not necessary in the vast majority of cases where adequate pocket release has been done. If you're trying to stretch a very short distance from the nipple to the crease, it may make sense to then add pressure to gravity to help this along. This is certainly a preference that's related to each surgeon and their technique. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Band is surgeon's preference

Hi there. The band is really a personal choice of surgeons. Many (including myself) do not use a band routinely as the implants will tend to settle with gravity spontaneously if the muscle has been adequately released. Good luck!