I had a mastopexy and small reduction - is this puckering and indentation normal? (photos)

I am 20 days post mastopexy with a small reduction performed by a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. My greatest concern and anxiety is the puckering and what looks like weird excess skin at the bottom of my breast. It's as though they are also intented under the nipple in the bottom half of my breasts. My surgeon said everything looks fine dismissing my concerns. Should I be concerned and ask more questions? What do I ask or address to get answers?

Excess skin

It is impossible to comment and make an informed opinion without seeing some preop photos but it would look like you have had a lot of skin excess. Your surgeon is relying on the breast dropping into the excess skin and the skin excess shrinking. This process can take 3-6 months and at the moment everything is progressing appropriately. I would not judge the result at the moment and it may be best for you to see your PS and for him/her to show you examples of how this settles and can reassure you.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

I had a mastopexy and small reduction - is this puckering and indentation normal?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast reduction result

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures.  There are techniques of breast reduction and lifts that incorporate the excess skin into one mostly vertically based scar. The technique allows for the skin to reshape with time.  I suggest you ask your surgeon how your result is progressing and provide some timetable for anticipated changes.  Good Luck.  

Thank you for your question and photos.  At 20 days it would be premature to judge the final outcome as that can take several months.  As the breasts heal one expects to see wrinkled skin and puckering as a very common.  It would be wise to be patient and follow your surgeons advice.  Good luck

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon