Botched labiaplasty. Hole. And flaps on the inside of each labia coming down from clitoral area (Photo)

I had a wedge labiaplasty 3 months ago and am very unhappy. There is a large hole through and through in the right labia minora where the mucosa is. I also have these strange flaps of skin on the inside on both minora. I know I must wait a few more months for revision, but what are my options? Will I need to have a complete re-wedge, or would it be best to completely trim off the labia to repair the hole and get a good visible result? And can these flaps of skin be removed?

Question about difficult re-repair of Wedge labiaplasty complication; use of PRP

My suggestion would be to wait until 5-6 months from your original surgery and do a re-wedge on the right, and a "trimming" revision on the left. Personally, I would use PRP ("platelet-rich plasma") into the re-repaired right-sided wedge to promote healing and prevent re-separation. Make sure that only a very experienced labiaplasty surgeon does your revision; you may need to travel...
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Botched and undertreated by wedge labiaplasty

Wedge was a poorly chosen and poorly executed method for you. You have obvious extensive loose skin along the clitoral hood on both sides and this should have been addressed with clitoral hood contouring at the time of  your labiaplasty. On the back end, the excess labia minora tissue includes the area between them and this was also left behind untreated. By performing a wedge, this web of skin in the center of the posterior vaginal opening has now been placed in direct line with the direction of vaginal insertion during sex or tampon use. This web of skin will be in the way and cause painful sex on entry until it is treated. You should wait until six months after your botched wedge labiaplasty for a an expert this time.

Labiaplasty reconstruction

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You will need a re-do of your labiaplasty to repair the hole an align your frenula and clitoral hood.   However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance. I have repaired many women with your deformities that were done by other surgeons. It is more difficult than the first operation but it definitely repairable. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Complications. Hole. And flaps on the inside of each labia coming down from clitoral area

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs.  I am sorry for your current situation. 

There are different techniques of labiaplasty with each associated with potential complications.  I prefer the trim technique for several reasons, including:  1) improved ability to shape and reduce the size of the labia minora; 2) the ability of a combination labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction with one incision to complete both procedures at once; 3) ability to address uneven and discolored outer labial edges; and 4) reduced risk of the issue that I am sorry that you are experiencing.

Labiaplasty and secondary procedures to repair complications associated with the original repair should be performed by a surgeon experienced in reconstructive genital surgery.  The cosmetic surgeon will be able to discuss the options after a thorough examination in order to to improve the results.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Botched labiaplasty Hole, what are my options = follow up your surgeon's recommendations #labiaplasty #vaginalrejuvenation

Depending on the type of surgical technique used for labiaplasty, complications may my practice, when performing labiaplasty, I prefer the edge excision technique that the wedge excision one to prevent dehiscence that ultimately could end up in complications like edge necrosis or incomplete healing ( resulting in holes in the labia minora)Patients with questions and concerns about their labiaplasty healing process should address those concerns with the surgeon that performed the operation, and discuss the options to address any possible complication/s

John Mesa, MD

Botched labiaplasty. Hole. And flaps on the inside of each labia coming down from clitoral area

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs, and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It appears that your right side labia minora suffered a wedge separation that has left you with a hole, while your lateral prepuce tissue folds were not treated appropriately to realign with the labia minora.  Additionally it appears that you left labia has a notch along the repair site.  Your tissues appear to have fully healed so you may be a candidate for a revision now and it will  likely require a re-wedge.  Be sure to see a surgeon well-versed in labiaplasty reconstructions.  Best wishes.