I'm looking for advice on if I need a full or mini tummy tuck. (photos)

Hi there, I'm 27 years old with 2 kids. I'm 110 pounds but have this horrible skin left on my stomach. I'm just wondering if I can just do a mini tummy tuck or if I require a full one, or if there is a non surgical option for me.

Mini or full TT

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture full TT will give you optimal results. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Mini vs full tummy tuck: what to know

It is important to know not just what a mini vs a full tummy tuck does, but also the variations in between such as a mini with umbilical float or full with T-closure. You appear to have a lot of loose skin in the lower abdomen, which would all be removed with a full tummy tuck. The problem is that the upper abdominal skin, which would have to be expanded to cover the lower abdomen, may not be elastic enough. I would suggest getting more than one consultation  and know all of your options.

Richard Baxter, MD

You will need full tummy tuck

There is no non surgical option for your condition. You will need a full tummy tuck. Complete your family and then have a tummy tuck.

Vasdev Rai, MD

I'm looking for advice on if I need a full or mini tummy tuck

With the degree of muscles separation you have as well as the excess skin above your belly button, I believe the full tummy tuck will give you a much better result for your investment

Julio Garcia, MD

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. You would be a candidate for Mini or full Tummy Tuck but with a full TT we can remove more of the damaged skin that you have and you will have better results. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mini or full tummy tuck?

I am generally not a fan of mini tummy tucks since the change is much more limited when compared to a full tummy tuck, however I must admit I think that you may be a candidate.  The quality of your upper abdominal skin appears to be quite good and putting tension by partial removal of the lower abdominal skin while tightening your muscles may provide a nice benefit for you to your lower stomach.  Ultimately, one needs to be examined in a face-to-face setting to discuss the options before making a decision. Meet with at least one or more ABPS board-certified plastic surgeons before making your decision.  Watch the video attached for additional information.  Regards, Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I'm looking for advice on if I need a full or mini tummy tuck.

The answer to your question will depend on your goal. You have damaged skin extending all the way up to your belly button. If you want half that skin removed, do the mini. If you want it all corrected I would recommend the full TT. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Full TT best option

Thanks for your question and the photos. I think you are an ideal candidate for a full TT given the amount of skin laxity and muscle laxity. This will not only flatten but also tighten things. You have too much excess skin to do a miniTT. It's hard to tell the distance b/w your pubis and the umbilicus, but I believe the closure could be kept fairly low and inconspicuous-particularly in clothes. Use the Smart Beauty Guide to help find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic body contouring surgery. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

#abdominoplasty your only option

you have excess skin in the peri umbilical area, the only surgery that will fix this problem is a full tummy tuck, based on the limited information obtained from your posted pictures, it appears that you have muscle weakness and an umbilical hernia, this can be fixed during the andominoplasty.A more limited surgery, could be performed, but you will not get the best possible result.The surgeon you elect to perform your procedure, is the most important factor in obtaining a good result. Be sure you seek the advise of a surgeon member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Full or mini tummy tuck?

IN my opinion, you need a full tummy tuck, with re positioning of the belly button, tightening of the muscles (diastasis), and liposuction of your flanks at the same time.  I am assuming you do not plan on more children.  If you plan on more babies, I suggest you wait until you are finished, before doing the tummy tuck.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon