Am I a candidate for a hair transplant? (Photo)

I am 23 and have been taking finasteride for about one year. However, my top and especially my hair line is very thin. Both the number of hairs seems to be small as well as their diameter. My goal is to restore the front so I can style my hair without it being seethrough. Further goals are to minimize shock loss and to have enough donor left for future HTs when balding continues. Thank you so much for evaluating, your input is greatly appreciated!

23 year old and Hair Transplant- Dr. Alan Feller- Great Neck, NY

Your age does not automatically disqualify you for a hair transplant. You clearly have miniaturization and male pattern hair loss progression from the photos you posted. Because your hairline is naturally high there is no reason to wait for a hair transplant. I would thicken your hairline and at the very least rebuild what I call the corner triangles going around the forelock. However, I might recommend going through the forelock as well if your hair is really fine. Regardless, you should look into a megasession FUT of about 2500 grafts or even more if your donor area can spare it in a single procedure. Dense packed. 

Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a hair transplant?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photo, 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

If you have genetic balding, you may be a candidate for hair transplant surgery but you need to see a doctor first.

If you have genetic balding, you may be a candidate for hair transplant surgery but you need to see a doctor first.  You need to understand what will happen if you continue to lose all your hair and also have a realistic goal.  Photos and Internet posts will only give you generalizations.  What you want may be possible but it would depend on the examination and how you plan out the surgery / treatment with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Consider waiting

I see your concerns.  There is definite thinning in the frontal region.  At age 23 you are very young to begin transplants.  We can not predict how much balding is in your future.  To begin transplanting so early you run the risk of multiple transplants trying to keep up with the first transplant which may have been performed to early in life.  That is to say the hairline may have been established too low for the eventual degree of balding creating an unnatural balding pattern over time.  I would continue finasteride for a couple more years.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

You want to know if you are a candidate for a hair transplant

From the pictures and the description it seems that you do have male pattern balding. The question in people like you is when to take the next step to a hair transplant. From what I see, I would be conservative and continue on the drug finasteride and wait out a period of another year or two. If you recede or lose visible hair, then you can take the plunge. Without seeing you I am at a disadvantage.  I might be more definitive if you and I were to meet. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Develop a long term treatment plan

By your photos, you seem to have male pattern hair loss which is already progressing some.  You need to find a hair transplant physician who can help you develop a long term treatment plan to prevent further hair loss and renew your hair to it's previous condition. 

Cellular therapy such as PRP and more recently stem cell therapy from fat tissue (currently being researched) has show great promise.  These treatments can slow hair loss progression and promote hair grow and increase the diameter of hair shafts.  

Medical treatment such as minoxidil and propecia are also important to consider.  

Finally transplant of affected areas is also a consideration.   FUE is the procedure of choice in most cases since it is minimally invasive and can yield powerful results when performed by an experienced surgeon.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon